Help with antique bronze chandelier!

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by EJINPA, May 2, 2021.

1. EJINPA

EJINPA New Member

I just purchased this large and VERY heavy chandelier and had several questions for anyone willing to help. I assume this would be considered "Gothic" style? After looking it over, I think the glass shades that came with it IMG_0001.JPG may have been a later style change? Have the shade holders on this lamp been reversed to shine down instead of up? Did this originally have glass shades or not?
    I really love this antique piece and want it to look like it was made to look. Any opinions would be appreciated! Thanks, E.

Firemandk, judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Think brass, rather than bronze. Appears to be as made since it has thumb screws to hold the shades. Think it is a 20th century revival style. Some French detailing. Don't know if it relates to a particular French historical period, per se. No picture of the glass shades so can't comment on originality.

3. EJINPA

EJINPA New Member

IMG_0005.JPG
    Thanks for the reply. Here is one of the six shades. I get the thumb screws, I just though the posts looked odd sticking up instead of under the light cups...sort of like a torch handle? The shade looks a bit awkward when placed in the cups and screwed down as there is a bit of a gap in there. Perhaps that is common, but it looks odd is all. Brass, yes, I see. It bends easily and I plan on heating it a bit when I start to straighten all the bits out. Thoughts on the shades? Best, E

4. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Could be original but look a bit plain to my eye. Seem to be period.

5. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

You can inspect the glass carefully for a maker mark.

6. EJINPA

EJINPA New Member

IMG_0006.JPG A close inspection yielded no makers marks. Here is the shade on the cup. I wondered about the gap. The shades are period.

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2021