Featured Help with antique cut glass and silver decanter

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by DR1994, May 11, 2019.

1. DR1994

DR1994 New Member

BAAE6161-35AA-4D59-A379-948A894EE706.jpeg 67EEF997-318E-4B16-9385-4BB90B016011.jpeg 07A908E7-0CA2-44F4-BEA7-481936264EBF.jpeg Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could help me with this cut glass decanter. It comes in the original navy blue presentation box (appears to be a solid wood construction). Despite the lack of hallmarks, I believe the handle and spout to be silver plated. The spout also features a carving of what seems to be the Green Man.

The box has no logo or makers mark, nor does the decanter itself. I will include a photo of the original wrapping upon which a logo is printed - a frog with a crown. Any help in terms of age or maker would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you
    Zara

Last edited: May 11, 2019
  2. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Hi Zara. Pretty piece. Although a member might be able to give you information using these thumbnails, you might get better results by going to Edit, the More Options button, and click Full Image for Everything. Kiko

3. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

Claret jug probably glass made for silver plate co who added the handle/spout which should screw off for cleaning. More often seen with a diamond point pattern in the glass.

4. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

mark could be an allusion to the fairy tale "frog prince" which is originally Froschkönig. jug could be a German cold duck jug.

Christmasjoy and scoutshouse like this.
  5. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

WELCOME Zara !!! ... Joy. :)

i need help likes this.
  6. axelrich

axelrich Active Member

That's a very fine glass & silver decanter..

Christmasjoy likes this.
  7. ALittleBit

ALittleBit ALittleBit

I'd serve my cold duck up in it any day.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  8. ALittleBit

ALittleBit ALittleBit

I'm sure you've looked hard but have one more very close look all over the 'silver' collar with a magnifying glass. I am currently trying to identify a decanter which was described as Baccarat but turned out to be German 800 silver and the mark is absolutely tiny.

Christmasjoy and komokwa like this.
  9. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

It doesn't look cut to me.
    Look inside the lid and rims for any silver marks.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  10. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

not unusual, because Baccarat is used generic - and was occupied by the Germans several times - and was so near to the division line between Prussia and France - and had partly a German-speaking population etc.:)

Christmasjoy likes this.
  11. ALittleBit

ALittleBit ALittleBit

Thanks, Fid. Most interesting. So it might well be Baccarat.

12. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

we'll never know. generic terms. like stein for stoneware etc..
    most interesting company in those respects and from the same region is Villeroy & Boch that survived the wars because the two families were not nationalistic.

13. ALittleBit

ALittleBit ALittleBit

Really. Pays to stay neutral.

Draft saved Draft deleted