Help with antique hand tinted photograph

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by zHugh, May 9, 2021.

1. zHugh

zHugh New Member

[​IMG]

Hello all, this is my first time posting on this forum and I am hoping that someone here might be able to provide some information about this antique photograph.

I received this along with some other old photos from my FIL who picked them up some years back at an antique store. I don't know the date of the portrait but it appears to be of an African-American gentleman in a shirt and tie and would be an attractive if unremarkable portrait but for his eyes.

His right eye appears to be completely closed and his left eye is partially closed. Was this portrait taken after death? I have not personally seen any other photographic portraits like this and any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Edit: sorry my photo didn't upload originally
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 9, 2021
  2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Debora and Any Jewelry like this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

5. zHugh

zHugh New Member

Thanks! The photo should be showing as an attachment to my original post now.

i need help likes this.
  6. i need help

Next time, just tic the box for Full Image. It will appear large, like the one Any Jewelry has posted. :)

Any Jewelry and sabre123 like this.
  7. zHugh

zHugh New Member

Thanks, I think it's because I'm trying to use the mobile version.

8. smallaxe

smallaxe Well-Known Member

It looks like it's more than just hand-tinted. It looks largely drawn, like a solar enlargement/crayon portrait. They sometimes were done posthumously.

Bakersgma, Figtree3, Houseful and 2 others like this.
  9. zHugh

zHugh New Member

Yes perhaps hand-tinted is not the proper description for this kind of portrait. As I mentioned I know little about antique portrait photography. I love the way they look though. Kind of a mix between a painting and a photograph.

10. i need help

Can you show the back, please?

11. zHugh

zHugh New Member

I will try to get a photo of the back uploaded. It is just blank cardstock though.

12. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Looks 1910-1920s to my eye. Would be a bit late for post-mortem, I'd think. It could be he's just visually impaired but don't think there's any way of really knowing.

Debora

zHugh and Figtree3 like this.
  13. zHugh

zHugh New Member

Thanks, I thought it might be a bit late for that based on what I read about it being primarily a Victorian practice. Thanks for your input!

Draft saved Draft deleted