Help with Antique Porcelain Mark E L with Crossed Arrows

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Savvy*Spyglass*Treasures, Dec 27, 2015.

1. Savvy*Spyglass*Treasures

Savvy*Spyglass*Treasures Fancy Endeavours. That's my user ID on eBay now.

Hi! Happy New Year! I hope everyone here had a great Christmas.

I have a really gorgeous set of four hand painted porcelain demitasse sets with a mark I could not find. It is an "E" and an "L" on either side of a pair of crossed arrows. Anyone recognize this mark?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks so much!

Juli

cxgirl and KingofThings like this.
  2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Maybe arnart ?

KingofThings likes this.
  3. Savvy*Spyglass*Treasures

Hi, johnnycb! No, I don't think so. Arnart is a mid-twentieth-century maker from Japan. These are probably European and a bit older than that. One has an old staple repair.

Thanks so much for trying, though!

Juli

KingofThings likes this.
  4. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

Do you think they could be hobbyist painted?

KingofThings likes this.
  5. Savvy*Spyglass*Treasures

Hi, Janet! If so, it was someone very talented. But, with the staple repair, I think they would have been done well before the hobby china painting craze of the early part of last century. Does anyone know when staple repairs were done on china?

Thanks for looking, Janet!

Juli

KingofThings likes this.
  6. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

7. Savvy*Spyglass*Treasures

Thanks, cluttered! After going through all the images where "crossed" was referenced, I'm leaning towards French. I can find a couple of images now of French figurines that sold at Live Auctioneers that are attributed to France and have very similar arrows with no letters. No makers are referenced, though. So, I'll have to keep looking. Thanks for the help!

Juli

KingofThings likes this.
  8. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Is the blue mark underglaze or over?

If the mark is over it might be a decorators mark and not the maker.

KingofThings likes this.
  9. Savvy*Spyglass*Treasures

Good question! I think, now that I run my fingernail over it, that it's over the glaze. Thanks! I'll look in that direction. Probably never find the artist, though. They're looking more and more like "Old Paris" to me! :)

Juli

KingofThings likes this.
  10. mhc4444

mhc4444 Active Member

hello,
    i have a book with many of the european porcelain and stoneware makers marks, i'll have a look in it when i get home after the new years :) there might be a clue there

cxgirl and KingofThings like this.
  11. Savvy*Spyglass*Treasures

Thank you! Happy New Year!

Juli

12. mhc4444

mhc4444 Active Member

hello again
    the only one i can find in my book that is like this one is Porzellanfabrik Kalk G.m.b.H
    post 1900 :) but without the E and L, maybe they are for a specific signature for a painter for the porcelain factory? anyways, i hope at least it is a clue you can follow, if not the answer :)

13. Ligeialenore

Ligeialenore New Member

The mark is for the factory Porcelaine de Paris. Post 1920s. The letters are probably for one of their decorators. The mark can be confused with Arnart, Japan, but Arnart's mark is a printed and stamped copy of Porcelaine De Paris's mark. Similar and sometimes identical pieces with variants of this blue hand painted crossed arrows mark can be found in the 1950s Porcelaine De Paris catalog.

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted