Help With Artist ID

Discussion in 'Art' started by FunkeysFinds, May 30, 2014.

1. FunkeysFinds

FunkeysFinds Well-Known Member

Hello -

I typically don't purchase many pieces of art for resale as I seem to have trouble ID'ing them. I have a collection of 15 or so vintage pictures, watercolors and etchings that I've hidden away over many years that I'm slowly tackling. This is a recent purchase from a few months ago - I purchased it for a couple dollars and it came with several other items from the same estate. I bought it at the time because it was cheap and it was clearly old. That doesn't equate to anything valuable, however.

Since this is so far from my realm, I'm lost. At times it looks like stone lithography, but parts of it look like it was completed in pencil. It is possible it was completed many years by a local artist who did a local scene. I think that the image or 'stamp' in the bottom left corner is near match of the actual main image itself.

If I am reading the artists name correctly, it is Wm. C. Moore.

Would folks recommend removing the back? It looks like it may have been removed at some point.

I took the pictures outside so the actual colors would be true.

Thank you,

Cory

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

The little image in the margin is called a remarque. The dictionary I looked in the make sure the spelling was correct says it is usually "removed before regular printing", so perhaps this was an artist's proof?

Is that a sketch on the backing too?

3. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I'd take it apart if only for the fact that the cardboard backing is probably acidic and bad for the picture.

4. FunkeysFinds

Bakersgma -

Thank you very much for that info, that is interesting news indeed! The outside backing is damaged/soiled. I will gently remove it later today and see what is underneath if anything. If there is more news or a treasure, I'll be back!

5. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

A real puzzler ! Obviously a talented artist,but I cant find anything under any variation of the name ,and Ive tried everything.

6. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Hi Cory! It does appear to be a lithographic print pulled from a stone. Hard to be certain about that as the one close-up detail shot (with the siggy in it) is washed out from the sunshine. When you take it out of the frame, you can get better shots, try taking some indoors near a window (don't shadow it with your body) and also try some using flash. You'll need better photos to list it anyway.

Been raining hard here last 4 days!

7. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

William C. Moore (?) signature?

8. FunkeysFinds

Hello, antidiem!

Thank you (and everyone) for helping on this piece. I've gotten it out of the frame and am waiting for any hint of sunshine this week and will take and post photos this week.

9. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I think probably an etching if you have a plate impression. The remarque is sometimes done in pencil by the artist when signing as a little original bonus. Otherwise, they are not usually included in the print as bakersgma said above. I think circa 1900 or just a bit earlier on this.

Draft saved Draft deleted