Featured Help with artist of Hindu? painting; nude woman being wrapped in a fertility blanket?

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Sep 18, 2023.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found this painting today at a thrift store; I think it's India or Hindu - and I've never seen a blanket like the one the center lady is being wrapped in; with a baby medallion?
    What is is? A fertility blanket for good luck?
    Can anyone tell me where this painting is from and what it is representing?
    Also any help with the artist's name? It looks like O Giberga to me? I found a Ovidio Giberga, but his art appears to be sculptures only - I couldn't find any paintings by him.
    Plus, he is from Cuba & currently living/working in Texas - could the scene in painting be Cuban?
    Thank you for any information on this!

ART PAINTING INDIA NUDE 1AAA.jpg ART PAINTING INDIA NUDE 2AA.jpg ART PAINTING INDIA NUDE 3AA.jpg ART PAINTING INDIA NUDE 3AAA.jpg ART PAINTING INDIA NUDE 6AAA.jpg ART PAINTING INDIA NUDE 8AA.jpg

2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Krishna is sometimes depicted as a child. The fruiting tree she is holding on to must also have significance.

Figtree3 likes this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Nice painting, journey. A Buddhist scene imo.
    According to legend, queen Maya gave birth to Siddharta Gautama while standing and holding on to a tree branch for support. Two attendants hold up a sheet for modesty.
    Prince Siddharta is the golden child in the roundel. He became the Buddha in adult life.

mirana, Figtree3, Roaring20s and 5 others like this.
  4. journeymagazine

Thank you!

Any Jewelry likes this.
  5. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

It's a beautiful painting, Journey!

6. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Hi, @journeymagazine . The Ovidio Giberga that you found is too young to have been making art in 1965. I watched a video of him and saw pics online.

Then I found a web page of Dan Giberga, who is a younger brother of that Ovidio. Dan mentions that his grandfather was named Ovidio Giberga also. And he was a photographer and painter. Maybe there is a connection to the painting you have?

This page has a photo of the grandfather with part of one of his paintings showing in the background. The grandfather Ovidio made paintings from his photographs. And the painting style is different, too. So perhaps he never painted anything like your painting. Still, thought I would show you here.

https://www.dangiberga.com/about

7. journeymagazine

Could there be a third? (!)

Figtree3 likes this.
  8. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I'm sure there could be. Researching that might be difficult, though.

journeymagazine likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted