HELP WITH ARTIST ON LITTLE BOY ARTIST PAINTING

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, May 30, 2019.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

Anybody heard of the artist of this painting? It's signed Novack & it seems familiar - but the name could be bringing familiar feelings about anything!

Thoughts on the painting itself - did I find a winner; or another factory painting?!

Measures 20" x 24" / 23.75" x 27.75" with frame

Thank you.

ART PAINTING CHILD NOVACK 1A_AA.JPG ART PAINTING CHILD NOVACK 2AA.JPG ART PAINTING CHILD NOVACK 3AA.JPG ART PAINTING CHILD NOVACK 4AA.JPG

Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Maybe you're thinking of TV show Mr. Novack?

3. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

I suspect giclee, but let's see if there's an original artist to go with that thought...

Christmasjoy, i need help and Bronwen like this.
  4. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

I come across a few "novak" artist on Google but nothing on the name "novack" I assume it's probably a hobbyist that painted and image in a magazine or something along those lines. Doesn't appear to have much age looking at the back of the canvas

Christmasjoy, i need help and Bronwen like this.
  5. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

96A79BDE-D597-45FA-AF9C-EEBEF0714DAF.jpeg This is strange?

Christmasjoy and Jivvy like this.
  6. Jivvy

Odds favor that a hobbyist paints with the canvas already mounted on its final stretchers/strainers.

This canvas was not painted while on those strainers. See how there is paint on the canvas folded over the back of the top?

Could be bad planning -- at the last moment, artist decided to go cheap with a standard size frame, and so the piece had to be reduced to fit... but I don't see any real evidence that this was ever attached to other stretchers.

I also don't like the lack of paint coverage on the front. I'm seeing cost-cutting high speed production.

I wouldn't wager a lot of money on it, but I'd wager some.

7. Jivvy

Unless this a thrift store label, I'm thinking it's a production number. And not of the frame.

ART PAINTING CHILD NOVACK 4AA.jpg

8. Jivvy

The more I look at this, the less I'm certain about what it is.

But. I don't think, in the long run, it matters whether it's hobbyist or machine. Sorry, @journeymagazine

9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Given the sticker with Art No. and Size, more likely to be a factory painting.

Debora

Christmasjoy and Jivvy like this.
  10. samuelcaulfield1

samuelcaulfield1 Well-Known Member

Well if anyone is ever after some factory paintings you’re in business big time @journeymagazine ...

11. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

LOL Right? But it was only $14.95 & since it's not a big deal I'll sell it for $20 and be happy!

12. Shwikman

Shwikman Well-Known Member

That kid has quite a large head, the facial features seem really ‘mature’. It seems strange, almost doll like to me.

13. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

He does look like a little man. ;)

Christmasjoy likes this.
  14. Mark London

Mark London Well-Known Member

It’s really pretty awful. Maybe spend a few days at a couple of museums really looking at paintings.

Draft saved Draft deleted