HELP WITH ARTIST'S NAME ON BRONZE? STATUE

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Oct 29, 2018.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found this at a yard sale yesterday - first, is it bronze?
    Second, does anyone know the artist or can make out the name?
    I'm thinking at has some age to it both because of the rust on the base's bolt & nut + because the house was a time capsule from the 60's (seller's uncle had passed away & he was left with the house; he drove to Miami & was selling everything cheap to empty the house & then he already had a appraiser and buyer to sell the house Monday (today) - kinda sad.
    Thank you; I appreciate any help.
    AA ART STATUE BRONZE LADY WITH CHILD 1AA.jpg AA ART STATUE BRONZE LADY WITH CHILD 2AA.jpg AA ART STATUE BRONZE LADY WITH CHILD 3AA.jpg

2. journeymagazine

This is a large Fay Peck print (Brown ALice - Great name for it!) & a cool large hanging lamp - definitely 60's right?
    Thanks again!
    AA ART PRINT FAY PECK BROWN ALICE 1AA.jpg AA ART PRINT FAY PECK BROWN ALICE 2AA.jpg AA ART PRINT FAY PECK BROWN ALICE 3AA.jpg FURNITURE LAMP MID CENTURY HANGING 1AA.jpg FURNITURE LAMP MID CENTURY HANGING 1A_AA.jpg

Christmasjoy and Lucille.b like this.
  3. journeymagazine

From same house I meant to add - sorry

judy, Christmasjoy and Lucille.b like this.
  4. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Sounds like an awesome sale.

Can't help with the name on the statue, but think it might be older than 60s. The bottom part is held with a square nut -- pretty sure square nuts are older. What a great piece, would have grabbed that.

Neat print, and LOVE the wild lamp. The green part almost looks enameled. Is it? 1960's or thereabouts. Nice! :)

judy, Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  5. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

judy, Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  6. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

If that's actual bronze it's starting to develop some nasty corrosion funk that could damage it if left untreated. Not sure if that's real bronze though.

Fid, judy, Christmasjoy and 1 other person like this.
  7. jsnggltt

jsnggltt Well-Known Member

The corrosion on that nut and the "crusty" uneven patina points to that statue being kept outdoors for a while. Not recently given the clean felt pads on the bottom but it has spent some decent time in the elements. (Great marble base)

8. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

JMHO.
    the round bases were typical 1950s in France, mostly sponged wood. after 1945 it wasn't unusual to use and reuse the remains that lay around. to me it does not look proper bronze but bronzed spelter/régule; the corrosion on the nut could simply be contact-corrosion after long years in a humid atmosphre.
    I'd be rather keen on seeing more details of that lamp.

9. journeymagazine

What do you need to see?

10. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

the inside. it's perhaps my bad eyesight, but I don't see how it's constructed.

Draft saved Draft deleted