Help with beautiful carved wood sculpture signed Potosi - but not Louis Potosi?

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Sep 20, 2021.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found this at a local thrift store Friday & when I googled the artist's name on it I found a lot of listings for a Louis Potosi with the same type of art - but none by German or G. Potosi which is signed on mine. Is it a relative? A pen name?
    Also it has a crack but it fits together perfectly - should I glue it back together or leave as is for the person who buys it to fix?
    Thank you for any help; it is greatly appreciated!

ART CARVED POTOSI ECUADOR 1AA.JPG ART CARVED POTOSI ECUADOR 2AA.JPG ART CARVED POTOSI ECUADOR 3AA.JPG ART CARVED POTOSI ECUADOR 4AA.JPG ART CARVED POTOSI ECUADOR 4BAA.JPG ART CARVED POTOSI ECUADOR 4BAAA.JPG ART CARVED POTOSI ECUADOR 5AA.JPG ART CARVED POTOSI ECUADOR 5AAA.JPG

LauraGarnet02 and judy like this.
  2. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Germán G. Potosí. Germán is his first name. G. is the abbreviation for his father's surname, the one he'd normally use as a first surname. And Potosí is his mother's father's name and his second surname which he typically wouldn't use. But in this case, I suspect he prefers to use Potosí because it connects him to the more famous sculptor Luis to whom he may be related through his mother. In short, he may be part of the Potosí carving family but he's not Luis.

Debora

Lucille.b likes this.
  4. smallaxe

smallaxe Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted