Help with Black Glass Candlestick

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by dgbjwc, Jan 31, 2019.

1. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Hello Board Friends - I was wondering if anyone could help me with an ID on this candlestick. It stands about 8 5/8" tall and measures about 4 1/4" across the bottom. There are a lot of candlesticks that look similar but the bulges and rings are all in the wrong places! If anyone could assist me it would be much appreciated. Thank you!
    Don

IMG_20190131_145453683.jpg IMG_20190131_145459197.jpg IMG_20190131_145510422.jpg IMG_20190131_145523210.jpg IMG_20190131_145518103.jpg

SBSVC and komokwa like this.
  2. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

Try Tiara Don. I had a blue pair that were a similar shape that I recently found out were Tiara.

3. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

4. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Thank you so much! You all are the best!
    Don

5. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

If you put a bright light under it does the glass show any dark purple? I have a vase that does this and can't remember what the glass is called.

6. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Hi Rayo56 - The black glass glowing purple is sometimes referred to as black amethyst. My candlestick does not show purple; it's solid black.
    Don

pearlsnblume likes this.
  7. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Oh - OK, thanks! I had it resting on the tip of my brain but couldn't remember it - I will now! :)

dgbjwc likes this.
  8. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
  9. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Thank you, TallCakes! The decoration on the second candlestick you show would argue for a Depression glass time frame. I wonder if Indiana is a possibility. It's not one of the elegant glass makers as there are visible mold lines. It could be that Indiana brought the mold out of storage for Tiara but the lack of a Tiara catalog listing is troubling. Will see if I can dig further.
    Don

Draft saved Draft deleted