Help with BOCH mark on Blue & White Wall Plate

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by LoveTheHunt!, Aug 11, 2018.

1. LoveTheHunt!

LoveTheHunt! Well-Known Member

Greetings! Here is yet another estate find, a blue & white 10" wall plate with a European landscape scene, and "BOCH" backstamp. The white portions actually have a blotchy pale green tint in them.
    I have searched my books and the 'net, but can't find anything with this exact mark. The closest I have found were some portrait plates that had the same foliage surround in the mark, but also included the words, "Delfts", "La Louviere", and sometimes "Belgium".
    I'm not clear whether this mark is associated with the Boch Freres potteries, some other Belgian pottery, Dutch pottery, or...?
    I also notice what looks like 2 letters beneath the foliage at bottom right of mark - perhaps "S C" - do they mean anything to anyone?
    Also can't determine what era the plate is from.
    Finally, can anyone pinpoint the scene?
    DSC03873.JPG DSC03874.JPG DSC03875.JPG
    ANY information would be helpful... Thanx in advance!

2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

upload_2018-8-11_18-59-31.png

I always think of these plates with the holes to hang, as being souvenirs from the 1950s-60s. I could be wrong, but that is what I usually think.

Boch is German.

judy and LoveTheHunt! like this.
  3. LoveTheHunt!

The following is one mark I found online that resembles the one on my plate, but with the additional wording, "Delfts", "Belgium", and "La Souvière". Google Translate tells me the latter phrase is French (one of the official languages of Belgium) for "The Souvenir".
    That agrees with the idea of a souvenir plate, but of Belgian origin.
    The question remains which "Boch" pottery made it, and when.
    "Wall plates" (with holes for hanging) may have had a heyday in the 1950s, but they go back somewhat further than that, to at least the early 1900s, and probably back into the 1800s. However, the great condition of my plate suggests it may be from a later period rather than earlier. I just would like to find something definitive about it...
    il_fullxfull.275124872[1].jpg

judy likes this.
  4. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

So people on phones can see it and maybe help you, as I don't know.
    upload_2018-8-11_23-2-52.png

LoveTheHunt! and judy like this.
  5. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

LoveTheHunt!, i need help and judy like this.
  6. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

LoveTheHunt!, i need help and judy like this.
  7. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Boch is still in business so you might try contacting them and asking if they used this abbreviated mark. The link below shows marks they've used. It's a souvenir quality plate in that it's a printed "Delft" type.

https://www.royalboch.com/en/les-marques-2/

8. LoveTheHunt!

Thanx, I didn't know the linked thumbnails don't work on phones.

i need help likes this.
  9. LoveTheHunt!

10. LoveTheHunt!

11. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

The linked thumbnail *does* work on a phone... the main issue is that lots of people here don't like clicking thumbnails. Although I don't mind doing it once in a while, if all pictures here were thumbnails I probably would rarely bother clicking them, either on phone or computer.

Draft saved Draft deleted