Featured Help with CHAIRS - new member TREE

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by SBSVC, Sep 5, 2017.

1. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Hi, all -

A new member named TREE has asked for help in identifying some chairs. She opened a "conversation" that showed up in my Inbox...

Here is her photo:
    img0 (267).jpg

She wrote the following:

Hello I'm looking for some help to identify some antique dining chairs. I don't know much about them except they were passed down from a great aunt of a friend of mine. She was born in Canada in 1870 but her family were from Ireland/England. She inherited these in her early 20s as a wedding gift, but I don't know if they were new then or passed down. The former owner of the chairs thinks they might be rococo revival circa 1860 or earlier if they came with her from her native Ireland but I don't think they are detailed enough for that period. I'm wondering if anyone can identify style, wood, approximate age, era etc. or anything at all. I think they are Queen Anne style cabriole leg, but that they have no duck or pad shape foot design at all which is confusing. I can't find anything online approximating the design on the back of the chair for the matching set not the one in the middle. There's no detailing on the curved apron or knee at all. I have looked at hundreds of photos online but I haven't been able to find another picture of this exact chair. Can you help?

Anyone care to venture an opinion or offer any assistance?

Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I had someone recently go the conversation route also.....like this....

A glitch ?

3. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Or maybe just confusion? I don't know, but I answered back with a link to this thread that I started for her.

4. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

She`s called Teee from Canada, can`t understand why she can`t post herself.

5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I think it's a case of misunderstanding the difference between "posting a thread" and "starting a conversation."

There was someone - last week? - who had uploaded pictures to the Gallery and attached an appeal for assistance. Komo kindly advised that he/she should start a thread in (whatever the appropriate Forum was.) New member said he/she had already done so. But when asked "where" the member posted a link to a "Conversation."

Oops! I guess that's the one Komo mentioned above!

6. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Pic is not adequate to evaluate. I kind of get a French vibe from them but they are not classically French.

7. komokwa

@Teee...is still having problems navigating the site....
    looking for help with this too...but this time she's in the Gallery !
    upload_2017-9-5_12-51-57.jpeg

8. komokwa

I guess she's getting closer...at least..:)

9. Teee

Teee Member

OTE="daveydempsey, post: 275662, member: 22"]She`s called Teee from Canada, can`t understand why she can`t post herself.[/QUOTE]
    I'm sorry it wasn't clear to me where to go. But thank you to the kind member who reposted for me. thanks

10. Teee

Teee Member

veryBrad Here is another photo for the pair of chairs -- just one chair close up. Does this help?

11. Teee

Teee Member

20170902_123820.jpg veryBrad Here is another photo for the pair of chairs -- just one chair close up. Does this help?

Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
  12. Teee

Teee Member

very sorry. Never posted to a forum before. Is it possible to delete my mistakes and try again?

13. komokwa

Nah...you're getting there !!
    Go back to your chair post above ...and click EDIT...and then click FULL IMAGE next to the thumbnail......see what happens !

14. Teee

Teee Member

15. komokwa

See.......you're gettin the hang of it now !!!!!
    Welcome to Antiquers !!

16. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Does help a bit but it is unlike any chair I have seen before. Consequently, I think probably early 20th century. Maybe Edwardian period when they began to experiment a bit with new forms using traditional motifs. This carried on well into the second and third decades but something about this says earlier rather than later. Maybe because it seems to have just a hint of art nouveau styling to it. Could very well be French.

17. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

I'm sorry it wasn't clear to me where to go. But thank you to the kind member who reposted for me. thanks[/QUOTE]
    Welcome! :)

Christmasjoy likes this.
  18. Teee

Teee Member

19. Teee

Teee Member

veryBrad thank you for your comment. Here's the other chair also. I have two of the other one posted before, and one of this one. In fact, this search began as I was looking to get another of these chairs to make a set of two of each, and also a dining table in the same style. I have literally looked through hundreds of online photos, including charts that show stylized back shapes and details for different periods, and have been unable to find anything resembling these chairs. Any other comments or suggestions on possible age, era etc most appreciated!

20. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

They look like routine British balloon back late 19th C chairs to me.

Draft saved Draft deleted