Featured Help with chairs?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by bogtrotten, Feb 17, 2019.

1. bogtrotten

bogtrotten Active Member

Thanks for looking, was hoping someone could help with age and style of these chairs, regards Joe. IMG_1470.JPG IMG_1471.JPG IMG_1477.JPG IMG_1473.JPG

2. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Nice! Rococo Revival ca. 1860.

3. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I love the chairs but HATE the fabric!!!!! I would love to see them in a dark burgundy velvet.
    greg

Any Jewelry, Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Greg, I can picture that, it would be perfect.:)

judy likes this.
  5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Someone replaced the original velvet, probably in the 1950s. You could use something funky, but I'd go back to the darker velvet too on these.

judy likes this.
  6. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member

Very pretty chairs. . I agree, the fabric's pattern competes with the form of the chairs. Question. . whats the difference between Baroque revival and Rococo revival in terms of design when it comes to chairs such as these ?

7. Ghopper1924

Baroque and rococo are exuberant, late stages of classicism from the 16th & 17th centuries. As far as revival furniture goes, the rococo revival happened in the 19th century, denoting an extravagantly carved furniture type ca. 1840-70.
    I've never seen furniture called baroque revival, though I suppose its possible.
    In most furniture timelines the rococo revival is followed by the renaissance revival.

8. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

In some areas of Europe, Germany for example, I think they call rococo "baroque", i am not sure about that and don't know why. Means the same thing though, heavily carved/decorated furniture.

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  9. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Rococo is a little more toned down.

Ghopper1924 and James Conrad like this.
  10. bogtrotten

bogtrotten Active Member

Thanks for the help and thoughts, the chairs are in pretty good shape, I am tempted to restore them, but I more of a MCM person.

11. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

form of lower part - legs and frame with seating - is purest Louis XV..
    the rest on top is a crime. Victorian ? Italian ?

12. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I personally like an eclectic mix of styles so fussy with simple can work:)

Now decorating is really not my thing so I hesitate to make suggestions but if a dark traditional velvet doesn't appeal to you, what about something like a natural linen or something else plain and light?

But then I could use some decorating tips myself so don't go by my vision:D

James Conrad likes this.
  13. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

I have no problem with decorations. my late mom seems to have been stashing a depot of drugs from the late 60s somewhere. :)
    DSC05821 (532x800).jpg
    but perhaps you see the difference ...

Darkwing Manor likes this.
  14. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

I have not heard the term Baroque Revival used in the study of furniture styles. To paraphrase American furniture professor Oscar Fitzgerald, Baroque itself was a late 17th century reaction to the late Renaissance's strict classicism, and turned to experimental lack of structure and relationships, an asymmetrical disharmony. In furniture it appears as elaborate carvings, heavy turnings and a plastic, dynamic sense of movement.
    Rococo revival gives a nod to the French and King Louie styles, with cabriole legs, balloon-backs, serpentine seats, arched stretchers, lots of "S" and"C" scrolls, carved fruit and flowers on crests, and eventually ,with the advances of steam-bent wood, lamination and scroll saws, curved and elaborately pierced and carved frames. J.H. Belter's pieces sum up the apex of this over-embellishment. This and a glut of poorly designed and overly decorated machine mass-produced furniture were largely responsible for the reactionary Arts and Crafts Movement as a cry to return to simplicity of design and hand-made crafts. Photo- JH Belter sofa, 1850-60, courtesy of the Met Museum.
    belter sofa.jpg

Fid likes this.
  15. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

what an atrocity ! but what courage to show it in a museum.:)
    they didn't even forget the col de cygne form of the Empire on the lower front ends of the armrests.

16. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member

At the end of the day, I guess 'Baroque style' is the term to apply to 19th century pieces since there was no large scale popular demand for it like there was for the Rococo... hence the term revival.. Here is entry in Joseph Aronson's furniture book from 1938 offering a distinction between the two styles.... 'The Baroque withal is a masculine style, virile and blustering and bold. It's counterpart, the Rococo, came in the 18th c., substituting prettiness and charm for Baroque magnificence.'

17. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

No accounting for taste, but it is quite a feat of technology what Belter accomplished with layers and layers of curved laminate. Although I wouldn't have this is my home, I would be very happy to own one so I could sell it for big bucks!

Fid and James Conrad like this.
  18. Ghopper1924

Like it, love it or hate it what Belter (and his contemporaries J. and J. Meeks) accomplished with rosewood has never been equaled. The skill involved is superlative. There is simply nobody in 2019 who has the skill to accomplish this level of execution. Ikea? Can anyone say "pressed sawdust?"

I'd love to have some - perhaps a more restrained - version of this in my home, just to p.o. modernists, if nothing else.

19. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Tell you what, Hal Hunt only has 1 auction sale a year i think but he sells some of the best victorian furniture in the nation, with prices to go with it. Mostly Museum quality stuff, he gives the auction guys in New Orleans a run for their money in victorian furniture and, NOLA is a place where victorian sells well.
    https://www.halhunt.com/

Darkwing Manor and Ghopper1924 like this.
  20. Ghopper1924

That's what I'm talkin' about!

James Conrad likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted