HELP WITH CHIEFS BLANKET ID MYSTERY

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by SUPERJUNK1970, Sep 4, 2021.

1. SUPERJUNK1970

SUPERJUNK1970 Active Member

MY LANLORD WAS THROWING OUT BELONGINGS OF A TENANT THAT PASSED AWAY AND HAD NO FAMILY. HE TOLD ME TO GRAB WHAT EVER I PLEASED. I FOUND TWO NATIVE AMERICAN KACHINA WALL ART MADE OF CERAMIC TILE WRAPPED WITH WOOL BLANKETS.
    THEY DID NOT LOOK NATIVE AMERICAN BUT WHILE DOING RESEARCH ON THE TILE ART , I DISCOVERED THAT THEY MIGHT BE CHIEF BLANKETS.
    They do have 12 rectangles but not red, but nothing else . SO I THOUGHT IT MUST BE A STORE MADE CHIEF BLANKET MADE FOR THE GENERAL PUBLIC. THEN, I NOTICED SOME SYMBOLS ONLY AT ONE END OF BLANKET , THE SYMBOLS LOOKED ARABIC BUT TURNS OUT TWO OF THE THREE ARE CHEROKEE. NOW IM CONFUSED.
    HELP PLEASE. IS IT REAL OR STORE MADE? 20210814_150909.jpg 20210814_155310-ccfopt.jpg 20210814_155310-ccfopt.jpg 20210814_151215-ccfopt.jpg 20210827_193348-ccfopt.jpg 20210827_193318-ccfopt.jpg

Any Jewelry likes this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I don't see Chief's Blankets, but nice Turkish or Middle Eastern blankets or wall hangings.
    The script is Arabic, any resemblance to the Cherokee alphabet is coincidental.
    How big are they?

The Kachina wall art is cool, but are you sure they are Native American made?

Figtree3, reader, Bakersgma and 2 others like this.
  3. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

I think the mosaic may have originally been a table top.

Figtree3, reader, Bakersgma and 3 others like this.
  4. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Somebody has been watching too many classic Roadshow reruns.

6. i need help

Can we see the back of the mosaic, please?

Any Jewelry likes this.
  7. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

There is no Native American Indian connection with any of these items, other than the image of the "kachina" design, which is loosely based on a design intended to look like a Hopi kachina. It doesn't, however, and is simply a decorator item.

As is the "kachina table" shown in the link. Unfortunately, the item shown isn't even an image of a kachina, but instead (despite the claim) is an interpretation of a Yei figure, from the Navajo culture. Yei and kachinas are unrelated holy figures in the Navajo and Hopi religions/cultures, respectively.

The Navajo, Hopi, and Cherokee are totally unrelated tribes/cultures. They are no more related than the Chinese, Italians, and Scottish, if you want to put it in terms more familiar.

Only the Navajo wove "chief blankets," and they in no way resembled this. Here is a good link to illustrate what each of the three phases of the style looked like:
    https://statemuseum.arizona.edu/online-exhibit/19-century-navajo-weaving-asm/chiefs-style-blankets

The items are of decorative value only, with no connection to Native American art, and cannot legally be offered for sale as Native American Indian, under the terms of the federal Indian Arts and Crafts Act: https://www.doi.gov/iacb/act

Figtree3, antidiem, komokwa and 5 others like this.
  8. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I can totally see that "kachina" as the coffee table in a high-style MCM living room, but Native American it ain't. The rug is a rug from some company that uses Arabic script.

antidiem likes this.
  9. SUPERJUNK1970

Thank for the information on the blanket. Now I can use it for decor.
    The tile work its SIGNED and dated.
    I'm not en expert on native American artifacts, but I do try to do my research on items. My landlord said the tenant was from a tribe that doesn't exist anymore but what was left was attached or send to the Cherokee. However the last name according to my research is hopi.
    The one was SIGNED 1967 lora milwee
    The second was SIGNED 1962 lora MILWEE. They both state the day, and time it was completed. The frame Pictured around art was done by me to PROTECT tiles on the edge. The plywood is 3/4 thick.
    That is the info I got from landlord,
    Whether is true and accurate, ?
    That's why I'm here., I could not find info on the internet. I did find tilework similar but it WAS SOLD as contemporary art and the images were not kachina. I posted photos of the back for the persons that requested it. Thanks.

SmartSelect_20210904-130248_eBay.jpg SmartSelect_20210904-130125_eBay.jpg SmartSelect_20210904-130248_eBay.jpg SmartSelect_20210904-130125_eBay.jpg

10. SUPERJUNK1970

TO THE PERSON THAT OFFERED THE LINK TO TABLE TILE KASHINA TOP.
    THAT IS WHAT I SAW, THE SAME ARTIST HAD ANOTHER FOR WALL ART.
    THOSE EVEN THOUGH THEY SAY KACHINA, THE TILE COLORS ARE NOT WHAT NATIVE AMERICAN PEOPLE WOULD USE ON THEIR ARTIFACTS.
    I BELIEVE THE TILES WOULD HAVE TO BE FROM STONES FROM KNOWN SOURCES TO THEM. THE TILES ON MINE ARE REAL STONE CUT. NOT STORE BOUGHT. YOU CAN SEE THAY WHEN SEEING CLOSE UP. NONE ARE PERFECTLY CUT. IR SANDED.
    THIS SAID I STILL DONT KNOW IF ITS AUTHENTIC. THEY ARE SIGNED IN PENCIL , THAT DOESNT MEAN ITS FAKE, IT JUST MAKES IT QUESTIONABLE. SAID THAT. I THINK IF I WANTED TO FAKE SOMETHING LIKE THAT, I WOULD SIGNED A KNOWN NAME. I COULD NOT FIND ANYONE WITH THAT NAME.

11. SUPERJUNK1970

MEASUREMENTS FOR BOTH
    ARE.
    2 FOOT X 4 FOOT .

12. SUPERJUNK1970

13. SUPERJUNK1970

I do watch a lot of that show.
    I'm partly a dreamer.
    I see other average people find incredible treasures.
    Why not me? I do strike out a lot, but if you never dig you'll never find anything.

14. SUPERJUNK1970

I posted PICTURES of back.

i need help likes this.
  15. i need help

In which State was this found?

16. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

Just want to add, you came to the right place for information. So much misinformation is available on the internet now, that it is hard to know what to believe. There are several people here who specialize in this area, and even more who have learned enough through Antiquers Forum over the years to provide important insight. This is not your typical web site. You will find you get honest and reliable answers.

Don't hesitate to ask questions here, that's why we are all here, ready to help whenever we can. And it's admirable that you do ask, rather than simply passing on information that hasn't been confirmed!

(I'd be careful with the all caps, however. Many consider that shouting, or rude, even if it's not intended to be.)

17. SUPERJUNK1970

CALIFORNIA, SAN FRANCISCO.

18. SUPERJUNK1970

Thanks for all your comments, they all help. I been treasure hunting for 10 years and I concentrate on SILVER jewelry mainly designer Mark's and shops from different countries. I do good with less competition. But if I learned anything in this hobby is that no matter how good I am , I dont know it all and there is always someone better. I humbly ask a question or ask for opinions and always someone reply, Luckly I can separate people who respond with honest feedback " even if I know they have the wrong answer, I still learn from them,
    From what I call the gods of the issue, I simply ignore, but still appreciate., I just hate that they dont believe that there could be a chance how ever small that they could be wrong and it shows in their response they are there to tell you , not to debate the issue.
    Either way I can make up my mind on how to proceed accordingly.
    Thanks for responding.

Figtree3 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted