Help With Chinese/Japanese Jade Figurine/Statue

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by BirdyDust2, Aug 8, 2014.

1. BirdyDust2

BirdyDust2 New Member

Hi there. I'm having trouble identifying whether this is Chinese or Japanese, age, value etc....

It stands 6". And is mounted on wood and solid, heavy marble like stone.

Any info would be much appreciated. Thank you

Attached Files:

mymysharona43 likes this.
  2. 'Nuff_Said

'Nuff_Said Well-Known Member

It's hard to tell from your image, but here's my thoughts. Don't write them down in stone...

Your item is Chinese and appears to be white or a very pale-celadon jade, of an immortal standing next to a deer and vase, seated within its original hand carved fitted wood stand. It's carved pretty well and probably has some age to it (pre-1950).

It's also hard to tell from your image weather your piece is made of sh!t jade, or of a very high quality piece of jade (judging jade is similar to judging diamonds. There are sh!t diamonds similar to those being sold at your local K-Mart or Walmart jewelry counter. Then there's very high quality diamonds similar to those being sold by De Beers or Harry Winston).

Unfortunately, this judgment cannot be made by internet images alone. It needs to be in the hands of a professional experienced in the field of Asian art. This is the ONLY way you're going to receive the proper evaluation of your item.

As far as value..... it's worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it. From my experience: sh!t jade will bring you sh!t money. An antique high quality piece of jade can fetch five to six-figures or more.....

Good luck with it. Nice piece!

BirdyDust2 and afantiques like this.
  3. BirdyDust2

BirdyDust2 New Member

Thank you very much for your detailed, and very helpful reply.

I'll upload another image of another piece i have.

It sit's on the wooden base.

Attached Files:

mymysharona43 likes this.
  4. 'Nuff_Said

You are most welcome.

My thoughts above applies to this piece as well.

Chinese, white or very pale-celadon, pre-1950 and pretty well carved.

5. BirdyDust2

BirdyDust2 New Member

Thank you again.

Attached Files:

6. BirdyDust2

BirdyDust2 New Member

I wonder would it be worth putting these on ebay? Or would they achieve better money elsewhere?

7. moontymes

moontymes Well-Known Member

8. 'Nuff_Said

Both should sell quite well on eBay, especially the figural group piece.

Here are some completed listings for Chinese jade from high to low: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=chinese white jade&_sop=3&LH_Sold=1&_osacat=0&_from=R40|R40&LH_Complete=1&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR3.TRC1.A0.H0.Xchinese jade&_nkw=chinese jade&_sacat=0

You can also contact a reputable auction house for an expert evaluation and possible consignment.

Either way, you should do well.

But please, consult with the experts first at the auction house and then make your decision.

Good luck with them whatever you decide to do.

Regards

BirdyDust2 likes this.
  9. moontymes

moontymes Well-Known Member

I don't understand why someone would sell a $50,000 item on Ebay. I just don't get it. So much can go wrong....wouldn't the sellers like to have the protection of a reputable auction house? Unless those items were fake.

10. 'Nuff_Said

Four, five and some six-figure items get sold on eBay almost everyday.

Yes, some things can go wrong, but many things can go right -- especially if you have the right items/buyers.

eBay isn't as bad as some make it seem. Some folks need to judge venues based on their own experiences dealing with them, not someone else's. I suspect those that pass the most judgment, aren't the ones making the best or most of sales. JMHO.

BirdyDust2 likes this.
  11. BirdyDust2

BirdyDust2 New Member

Had them valued by my local auction house Nuff.

Mixed opinions really. I will say, these are NOT fake, there has been no doubt there whatsoever.

The Immortal (thinking this would be the most valuable) was actually only valued at around £600/£1000. Probably 1920's. A medium quality piece. Would be an easy sell, but not the best of quality. The carving is pretty standard etc...

But the 'horse/dear' was a real quality piece. Both experts were very excited about this one. A real quality piece. Carved well, and very desired. Valued very conservatively at £2000. But said that could easy go for £10,000 or more if the right buyers are attracted to it. Has age, beauty, and quality. They were so impressed with the piece, that they assured me the piece would be a main feature in their next auction if i were to sell it via the auction house.

Thank you for your advice Nuff, i'm glad i had them checked out by experts. I now know what i'm dealing with. And have a good idea on value.

I'll sell the Immortal on ebay i think (starting price £500). But i'll sell the other piece via the auction house. They will "promote the living hell out of the thing" so i think i'll be better off selling it through them.

Pat P likes this.
  12. 'Nuff_Said

You are most welcome, Birdy.

I wish you much luck and many bids. Congrats!

BirdyDust2 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted