Help with color of Wedgwood Jasperware teapot and set

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by JP Canada, May 15, 2021.

1. JP Canada

JP Canada Member

I have been reading about the styles and colours of Wedgwood Jasperware Is the set pictured royal blue? Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this set. 754A8376-8822-4001-B07B-3D44ADAB763D.jpeg 0E92140A-0537-494F-9B3C-566CD6D6676E.jpeg
    0D528CBE-4306-4335-AF5F-FDB8EF066546.jpeg

Last edited: May 16, 2021
    Any Jewelry likes this.
  2. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

Wedgwood (doesn't have a 2nd 'e'). I believe your misspelling of Jasperware was just a typo.

3. JP Canada

JP Canada Member

Thank you for that catch! Both were errors on my part.

pearlsnblume, judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  4. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

Wish I could help with which blue your pieces are but think someone more familiar with Wedgwood should give their advice. Nice pieces!

JP Canada, pearlsnblume and judy like this.
  5. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

very nice collection..

JP Canada and judy like this.
  7. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

JP Canada likes this.
  8. JP Canada

JP Canada Member

Ce BCA likes this.
  9. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

Yes, and yes. The 'Made in' part of the mark started around 1900 and dark blue jasper dip tends to be pre WW2 in general.

JP Canada likes this.
  10. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

Please don't assume it is silver plate. Inspect the silver closely for tiny marks.

11. JP Canada

JP Canada Member

Thank you!! I really like this set a lot!

12. JP Canada

JP Canada Member

@patd8643 I am very new to this world. Could you please let me know what I might be looking for? And what those marks might indicate? Thanks for the tip!

13. 916Bulldogs123

916Bulldogs123 Well-Known Member

Hi JP,
    You want to look for tiny indentations. Stamped Mark's could be symbols and letters
    Mikey

JP Canada likes this.
  14. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

They are sometimes stamped EPNS which is silver plate, but they are often unmarked as well even when they are silver plated. I have sold many and never come across one that wasn't originally silver plated (although the silver plate is often worn away). There are also sterling silver ones which have a British hallmark.

Last edited: May 16, 2021
    JP Canada likes this.
  15. gregtheelder

gregtheelder Active Member

Hi,
    It is hard to tell colors from the monitors. However I agree that your Dark blue dip looks like it. The royal blue was made later to celebrate Elizabeth the Queen.
    greg

JP Canada and Ce BCA like this.
  16. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

This is correct, in 1953 - also afaik the Royal Blue was never used as a dip colour.

JP Canada and gregtheelder like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted