Help with Delft bud vase marks

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by LotsOfMomsStuff, Jul 29, 2020.

1. LotsOfMomsStuff

LotsOfMomsStuff New Member

Hi all,

My first time posting a question so I hope I get it right!

I am trying to get some information on this Delft bud vase. The vase is 7" tall, base is about 2". The neck has been broken and glued back.
    20200725_141848.jpg 20200725_141910.jpg 20200729_163404.jpg 20200729_163439.jpg
    I started going down a rabbit hole trying to identify the marks. I’d like to figure out the factory and maybe a date. Also, was this made with a transfer vs. hand painted? I think I see dots. Plus at the top of the vase, the flower pattern on the lake side stops abruptly. As far as markings, besides the underlined Delft; etched in the bottom is a "K" and what looks like an upside-down question mark. There appears to be something else underneath the ft of Delft but I can’t make it out.

This vase was in my Mom's house. I believe it came into my Mom and Dad's possession from WWII. My Dad was in Belgium, Netherlands, France and Germany.

Thank you in advance.

Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

A perfect post. Well done! Now we'll wait for the Delft experts to come along.

Debora

i need help, Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
  3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Delft is the place of origin.
    Think the "K" will be the pottery mark. It wasn't listed on the small reference I have.

Is this another incised letter? Sometimes rubbing cinnamon or baking powder into a mark will make it stand out better.
    upload_2020-7-29_21-8-24.png

i need help and komokwa like this.
  4. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

Don't discount the possibility that Delft is the pattern name.

Any Jewelry and i need help like this.
  5. LotsOfMomsStuff

Thanks Cluttered, Debora & Janet. I've gotten many great hints from reading all the posts so I did use cinnamon. The best I can tell is an upside-down question mark.

clutteredcloset49 likes this.
  6. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

A pretty vase, but it isn't Dutch Delfts, so I think @say_it_slowly is the go-to person.:)
    That sounds like transferware, and it looks like it too. Did you notice the top flower of the cartouche isn't completely printed?
    As @janetpjohn said, Delft could be the pattern name, or maybe the name of a Dutch-inspired range.

Great photos, btw.

Bakersgma and i need help like this.
  8. LotsOfMomsStuff

Thank you AJ. I did notice the flower pattern stops.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  9. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I'm not going to be much help. It does appear to be a transfer pattern, after that it gets murky.

The mark isn't in my Delftware marks book which primarily has Dutch marks with a few others thrown in. The Dutch are rather good at marking their pieces so I'm not really thinking Dutch either.

The word Delft is hard to research but I didn't have much luck with just the letter K either. It's always possible it's something else, like a V with a line under. The other mark when rotated to the same position as the K looks rather like a C. No luck there either but if I think of somewhere else to look I will. Someone may know.

What I did find is that a similar windmill scene which seems to be in the manner of Chattel, a painter, was used on some transferware prints on Boch Delftware. Of course other factories may have used it as well and it's just similar. The word "Delft" on yours looks similar to the word "Delfts" on some larger Boch marks but your's doesn't have an "s". I also didn't find a similar mark on the Boch website where they show their marks with dating. I also didn't find a similar vase doing a quick search for Boch vases.

Someone may know or have better information.

Boch website, marks.
    https://www.royalboch.com/en/les-marques-2/

Example of a Boch charger with similar windmill transfer and it's mark.
    https://www.etsy.com/listing/583159...f=sr_gallery-1-7&organic_search_click=1&frs=1
    upload_2020-7-30_14-51-37.png

upload_2020-7-30_14-54-15.png

Your mark, I highlighted what I think I see. Can't make out the smudgy bit below the word.

upload_2020-7-30_14-57-23.png

Any Jewelry and i need help like this.
  10. LotsOfMomsStuff

Thank you SayItSlowly. Interestingly, my Mom also has that very same charger which I have. Looking at the 2 side by side, the flowers around the edge of the charger look similar to the flowers on the vase. The thought had crossed my mind that it was not made in the Netherlands.
    Thank you all for your help and assistance.

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted