Help with determining the age of 2 photographs!

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Coinanthebarbarian, Sep 1, 2022.

1. Coinanthebarbarian

Coinanthebarbarian New Member

Hi all,

I have had these old photographs for a while now - the only problem is that I know nothing about them!

The first scan is very hard to make out anything, so the brightness has been adjusted to hopefully make it easier to see! There are a few people in what appears to be a forest with perhaps ferns or bracken plants.

The second photo clearly shows two adults and one young child surrounded by a chicken enclosure and chickens.

Both of these photographs were purchased from an antique store in south-east Australia.

I am hoping someone is able to help me with determining how old these photographs are. Any help would be much appreciated!

https://www.antiquers.com/attachmen...0/?temp_hash=fb87b4764537d06e53e4e396a27dae5d

https://www.antiquers.com/attachmen...1/?temp_hash=fb87b4764537d06e53e4e396a27dae5d

https://www.antiquers.com/attachmen...2/?temp_hash=fb87b4764537d06e53e4e396a27dae5d

Thank you so much! Have a great day/night! A268E6B6-D18A-4E20-A995-30EA46FF2CCD.jpeg 37829D19-F4C7-4ABC-94F4-0EC5014B8332.jpeg 144A0725-F482-4020-B572-7FF11F7D4806.jpeg

2. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

I took a stab at adjusting both photos so we can see them more clearly. I had no luck with the first one, but maybe this helps on the second one...
    PhotoDarkened.jpg

Coinanthebarbarian and sabre123 like this.
  3. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

From the woman's hair style, the second one is certainly Edwardian. The woman is wearing a simple pompadour. Pre-World War II.

images.jpg

Coinanthebarbarian and Figtree3 like this.
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Enhancement confirms date. The young woman in center is wearing ringlets. So 1st decade or so of the 20th century. For arguments sake, let's say c. 1910.

Debora

fc869369186c0c01778e5ee00a526289--man-hair-siblings.jpg

6. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

and my attempt at a detail:
    PhotoDarkened.jpg

7. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

That first one is spooky. They seem to be sitting in a jungle, maybe perched on a cliff? Is that a boat at the bottom?
    A268E6B6-D18A-4E20-A995-30EA46FF2CCD.jpeg

a detail: you can barely see the face that goes with those legs:
    A268E6B6-D18A-4E20-A995-30EA46FF2CCDa.jpg

and faces looming in the dark:
    A268E6B6-D18A-4E20-A995-30EA46FF2CCDb.jpg

Last edited: Sep 1, 2022
  8. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

kyratango and sabre123 like this.
  9. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I think the female sitting next to the young child is pre-adult. Adult women in that era didn't generally wear their hair like that. This one could be a teenager.

I also think the first photo is probably from the same era that Debora identified for the second one. First decade of the 20th century.

How many people in the first photo? I think I see 6.

Oh, and are there any photographers credited on these? Often their years in business can be traced.

moreotherstuff likes this.
  10. Coinanthebarbarian

Coinanthebarbarian New Member

Wow, thank you so much, everyone!

That is really interesting, those enhancements look amazing, too!

Yes, I think there is 6 at least, perhaps more people in the faded areas of the photo.

I agree, the first photo is quite unsettling. It would be cool to identify where the photo was taken.

Thanks for your help with determining the age of the photo. That is really cool!

There doesn’t appear to be any credited photographers on either side of either photo.

Thanks again for your help, everyone. I really appreciate it!

Ghopper1924 and Figtree3 like this.
  11. smallaxe

smallaxe Well-Known Member

I am curious about the date from ringlets. I'm pretty sure I've seen them in photos from around 1880.

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  12. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Yes, it's very likely you have. They went in and out of fashion during the 1800s. Here's a young Queen Victoria with ringlets, for example.

Debora

96c5b5363000dc90d9a0ed8c9ee7e0de.jpg

kyratango and Ghopper1924 like this.
  13. smallaxe

The ringlet photo I was thinking of was of a boy about 7 years old just before his long little boy hair was cut. The ringlets looked intentional.

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  14. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Yes, fashionable for boys too. In the 1880s, especially so during the Little Lord Fauntleroy craze.

Debora

Little-Lord-Fauntleroy.jpg

15. smallaxe

This is the photo I had in mind. Age 10, 1889.
    curls.jpg

16. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Oh, poor little fellow!

Debora

Ghopper1924 and Figtree3 like this.
  17. techbiker

techbiker Well-Known Member

Big hair transcends time. [​IMG]

18. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

And that's certainly a time to be transcended!

Debora

19. BoudiccaJones

BoudiccaJones Well-Known Member

I think he looks great.
    I have five sons and three of them looked like this, one until they went to Secondary and two beyond. (It was the '90s bowl cut they still don't thank me for.)

20. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Let me guess, Your sons are called Scott, Virgil, John, Gordon and Alan.

pearlsnblume and Ghopper1924 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted