Featured Help with Drop Leaf Table

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by kiek0026, Apr 21, 2020.

1. kiek0026

kiek0026 New Member

Hello,

I recently got this drop leaf table and wanted to get some advice or info on it.

Is there a way to know how old it is?

There seems to be a lot of repairs done on it already. Should I try and fix these repairs?

What's the best way to get the table cleaned up? Is sanding this table safe?

Thanks!
    IMG_2567.jpg IMG_2563.jpg IMG_2562.jpg IMG_2560.jpg IMG_2558.jpg IMG_2556.jpg IMG_2556.jpg IMG_2556.jpg IMG_2558.jpg IMG_2560.jpg IMG_2562.jpg IMG_2563.jpg IMG_2567.jpg

2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

If you intend to refinish it - there is no reason not to sand it.
    However, it looks like it is in pretty decent condition.

These stains probably go pretty deep
    upload_2020-4-21_21-37-15.png

Wait for other opinions. Be sure to check back people come and go at all hours.
    BTW - Welcome to the board.

@verybrad @Ghopper1924 @James Conrad @Jeff Drum

3. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Hello, It's a mid 19th century (1850s) Sheraton table and I agree with Cluttered, what's the problem? it looks great i think, very nice wood figure on top. The center board does have some staining but that is called "character" and i would leave it be.
    If you sand off all the flaws from the top, you'll have a "brand new" mid 19th century table which isn't as desirable in my view. It's called "skinned" in the antiques world & furniture collectors frown on that sort of thing.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2020
  4. James Conrad

If the stains on center board are the issue, a restorer/refinisher can bleach them to remove most of discoloring and re-stain to match existing.

5. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Looks like walnut. Agree that the table looks perfectly fine from an old furniture lover's point of view. In other words....

"speaking words of wisdom...let it be."

6. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

Kiek, I'm with the others. The table is showing its character. We have had some much worse, A couple of old timers around here used to rub the tops down with tung oil and 000 steel wool if they wanted to give them a face lift. Maybe others will have some suggestions.

7. Iowa Jayhawk

Iowa Jayhawk Well-Known Member

Add my name to the chorus of "Don't mess with it". I have a similar table and it is still original.

8. James Conrad

Here is a table that has the same staining issue and how a professional would deal with it.

9. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

I am thinking walnut also. Nice table, especially graceful legs. I'm also voting don't mess with it. Speaking from misadventure, the oxalic acid works on black water stains, but even if you are a pro and an artist, it's REALLY HARD to match the old finish on the rest of the table, as you can see happening in Jame's video. To avoid that, you'd have to strip the whole thing and lose the nice age patina. Also, it's hard to tell from the photo but I am suspecting that might be a poly finish on there, only removeable with paint stripper. Not for the faint of heart!

10. James Conrad

Indeed, i leave stuff like this to professionals, they have a plan b, plan c and so on just in case something goes wrong.
    Tough to beat another man at his own game so i don't even try. The guy in video only spent 12 hours on this, i'd be at it for weeks with much poorer results.

11. kiek0026

kiek0026 New Member

Thanks for all the advice! Really appreciate it. I uploaded pictures of some of the fixes that were made. Wondering if I should try and fix it better? IMG_2574.jpg IMG_2575.jpg IMG_2569.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted