Help with Eastlake piece?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Kelli Pologruto, Dec 27, 2017.

1. Kelli Pologruto

Kelli Pologruto New Member

Screenshot_20171227-200608.jpg I saw this piece and I believe it is an Eastlake piece. Not sure what it is called or what the value is. It caught my eye with the bright brass and the key and lock that functions. Here is a picture. Any help identifying it and help with the value. Trying to decide if I should pull the trigger on it.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
    judy likes this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Welcome, Kelli! I don't see Eastlake styling here. Looks like a shelf/rack on which to display little figurines or such. Hard to tell how tall and how deep the shelves are, so I suppose something larger might also fit.

I'm confused about you mentioning "functioning lock and key." I only see the 2 brass "straps" under the shelves. Where is the lock and what does it secure?

judy likes this.
  3. Kelli Pologruto

Screenshot_20171227-202347_01.jpg Screenshot_20171227-202405_01.jpg Sorry I meant to attach these as well. Thank you for the welcome :)

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
  4. Bakersgma

Ah! Now I get it. I wonder if it was meant for storage of spirits, with the shelves for glasses.

Just one suggestion - you should be able to use the Edit function on your two posts to go back and change your images to "Full Image." That will allow the pictures to appear full size after your text and make it much easier for members to see them. It's particularly important for members using phones to access the site. :)

bobsyouruncle, judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  5. Kelli Pologruto

Thanks for the picture advice!

6. Bakersgma

I'm concerned about the "distressed" look to much of the wood, although the construction doesn't look brand new. I think we need some more experienced eyes on this to get you better answers than I can provide.

@verybrad is much better at wood identification.

bobsyouruncle likes this.
  7. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Its a drop front desk,or a 1970s colonial revival version of one.Ethan Allen would be my guess.

bobsyouruncle and judy like this.
  8. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Not Eastlake. Colonial revival is closer but really see this as more of a fantasy piece. I do think the wood is old but believe the piece made sometime last quarter of the 20th century.

Draft saved Draft deleted