Featured Help with elegant green glass vase

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by LIbraryLady, Jul 26, 2017.

1. LIbraryLady

LIbraryLady Well-Known Member

I haven't dabbled much in glass, however this 16 inch vase, with gold designs painted on it, took my breathe away. It is 16" tall; three little supports (sea serpents perhaps?), swirls on most of the body. Is it American? European? 19th or 20th century? Any and all information/theories are welcome.
    TIA

~~~

IMG_0649.JPG IMG_0651.JPG IMG_0654.JPG IMG_0657.JPG IMG_0659.JPG IMG_0661.JPG

2. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

WOW! I....
    Like the birdies....
    Love it too! :)

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  3. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Knee jerk reaction was Czech. Lovely,lovely thing !

Christmasjoy, judy and KingofThings like this.
  4. judy

judy Well-Known Member

I love it too!

Christmasjoy and KingofThings like this.
  5. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Ditto triple time. I love your vase.
    greg

6. toomanytocount

toomanytocount Boredom is a sin.

Impressive! The decor is not particularly Bohemian, or the shape. It is old circa 1900, meaning 1890-1910. I'm leaning towards antique Venetian decorative glass for the color, style and details. They were quite important during this time and inspired many other glass producing countries.

7. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

Very nice but likely European.

Christmasjoy and KingofThings like this.
  8. KingofThings

I especially like that the artist was very clever in supporting a structurally weak area. :)
    I like the color a lot as well.

lauragarnet and Christmasjoy like this.
  9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

10. LIbraryLady

KOT - Birds reign. And, I think you must be right about the serpents providing extra support. Never would have thought of it.
    Johnny/Too many/George- I guessed European; you've given me some good jumping off points for research. Thank you.
    Judy/Komo - I like knowing others appreciate it too. TX.

11. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Simply beautiful....and I don't say that easily! I also tend to think it's Venetian ca. 1900. Can't guess as to worth, but definitely not cheap. This is the kind of thing I'd buy in an instant, if I saw it at an auction.

12. KingofThings

Me as well. :)

Christmasjoy and Ghopper1924 like this.
  13. LIbraryLady

Thank you. It's encouraging to have know others appreciate it too. It's not a direction I've pursued before, but, no regrets.

14. toomanytocount

toomanytocount Boredom is a sin.

That's the attraction of glass decorative items, once you have it hand, it is so much more appealing than the image, due to the :happy: light and color variations in a 3D environment. I also love the color and the shape. I will see if I can find something similar.

15. PACKRAT

PACKRAT Well-Known Member

I always did love tall slender elegant things

Draft saved Draft deleted