Featured Help with function and age please.

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by JR1969, Nov 19, 2022.

1. JR1969

JR1969 Active Member

I'm trying to research this painted milk glass vessel but don't know what to call it. Pitcher? Water bottle? It looks old to me. Any thoughts on age? Thank you in advance. IMG_7731.jpg IMG_7744.jpg IMG_7745.jpg IMG_7746.jpg

2. vitry-le-francois

vitry-le-francois Well-Known Member

Size? Maybe used for vinegar or oil? Perhaps had a match. Hand blown glass. 1890's-ish. European.

3. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

Google images brought up a pair they call vases. I don't believe it had a stopper, because of the angle, but maybe.

judy, KikoBlueEyes and pearlsnblume like this.
  4. IvaPan

IvaPan Well-Known Member

IMHO, vinegar and oil vessels usually have a lid or cap. My vote is for vase but I am not an expert.
    A, janet, you mean that the lid has been lost.... Maybe.
    It is a beautiful thing and I would use it as a vase.

5. JR1969

JR1969 Active Member

about 5" at widest and 11 3/4" tall
    12.7 cm x 29.8 cm

judy likes this.
  6. JR1969

JR1969 Active Member

the spout is throwing me off. it seems like something should pour out but maybe not.

judy, IvaPan and *crs* like this.
  7. JR1969

JR1969 Active Member

my google search doesn't bring up anything with the same shape

judy and IvaPan like this.
  8. IvaPan

IvaPan Well-Known Member

I can't judge if it is really a spout or just an asymmetric end of the neck. I have seen such asymmetric vases (glass, ceramic) with the upper end cut at 45 degrees. Somehow it looks artistic :) Like this one:
    https://www.emag.bg/styklena-vaza-home-decor-asimetrichna-prozrachna-41qm3297/pd/DDLFMSBBM/

I cannot judge only from the photos if it the same shape. But I like this shape for a vase.

Actually, yours is also a little bent so maybe it is indeed a spout for pouring something. But in this case I would expect also a handle. I don't know...

Last edited: Nov 19, 2022
    judy and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  9. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

judy, KikoBlueEyes and IvaPan like this.
  10. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

My original thought WAS a bud vase, and lovely decorative one, at that, but might be a bit large..... that was my best shot! The flower on the upper part influenced my thought!

judy, KikoBlueEyes and IvaPan like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted