Help with Hallmarks and dating Chatelaine?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Aquitaine, Jan 1, 2017.

1. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Hi again!!! I have a nice silver Chatelaine from Mom's 'stuff'....no clue when or where she may have gotten it other than an auction or antique shop somewhere! It is 1 2/2" at the widest part and 3 1/2" at the longest. There are two marks on the front.....one near the person's upright arm (not well pictured in a close-up), and the other on the 'hook' that one would hang whatever from. There are five marks pictured on the back... I'm not sure what's going on with that lion other than he IS facing Right.....I tried looking everything up and really DID NOT get very far! Any and ALL help or pointing will be GREATLY appreciated!!!! Would love to know how old this thing is!!!!! As ALWAYS THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!!!!

EDIT....I have deleted the two badly blurry images and reposted separately!!

Chat1.jpg View attachment 57218 Chat5.jpg Chat6.jpg View attachment 57221

Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
    KingofThings likes this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

3. Aquitaine

Hi Bakers! First off, that is the ONLY hint I finally did come up with with the right facing lion!! Thanks!!!!! AND, I went at those two marks on the FRONT of the piece with my microscope.....one is a FACE!!!!! The other ....on the hook....looks like it might have writing or numerals on it???......Please let me know what you think???

Chat8.jpg

Chat9.jpg

KingofThings likes this.
  4. Bakersgma

That does look like the Minerva's head duty mark. If there's a letter in somewhere (should be below her head) that would be a assay office letter.

DragonflyWink and KingofThings like this.
  5. Aquitaine

Bakers, would that still lead to Dutch??? And THANK YOU!!!!!

KingofThings likes this.
  6. Bakersgma

Yes, it would. If you look back at the link I gave, the Dutch Minerva head is shown next to the lion in Example B.

KingofThings likes this.
  7. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Is Chatelaine cute?
    ;)

Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
  8. Aquitaine

Actually, King, the face looks like someone might have 'buffed' it too hard!!! Almost grotesque! @Bakersgma I can't say I see a letter but there's a clear # 6 (or 9) (I think?) just outside of the Minerva circle....as shown.....It also looks like there might be a scratched in 'K' in the head or an 'A' on it's side towards the back of the hair......I think that's all I see............the microscope keeps showing up all kinds of things!!!!!

Chat10.jpg

KingofThings likes this.
  9. Bakersgma

The letter should be inside the punch, on the helmet (now that I read the footnotes again) - at least according to the footnotes on 925-1000.

10. Aquitaine

So the number outside the punch may have no meaning.....and to me that looks more like hair than a helmet??? But there does appear to maybe be an A lying down there.....and YES!! I did go back and check out your link!! HA! And bookmarked it!! In using the microscope on the other "hallmarks", if I can squeek 3 more in....the results are interesting........ Chat13.jpg
    Not sure if those are just 'blobs' on the lion...looks like there are CP then the #5 along the lion's back.....

Chat14.jpg Don't know WHAT to make of this...all of a sudden I see a 'face' at the top near the right in 'gold', but looks like there's a siggy down the left and on the bottom....can they do that that tiny????

Chat16.jpg Here I see either 2 dogs facing each other or a boar on the left and a dog on the right. Don't know WHAT the 'gold looking 'pebbles are around the boar's side. That's it!!!! That's ALL I've GOT. Will keep trying to find out more, but Bakers, you may have already nailed it and I do thank you for your help!!! If anyone else would like to chime in, I'm ALL EARS!!!!! I am now crashing for the night!!!

KingofThings likes this.
  11. Bakersgma

That looks more like a 2 under the lion (where the purity number should be.) 2 stands for .833 silver fineness.

Those other 2 are a mystery to me.

DragonflyWink and KingofThings like this.
  12. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

The microscope photos show many things,in modern terms the casting is a piece of "junk". The whole piece appears to have porosity,the bottom photo is a cavity with the "gold" metal being some type of contaminate which shows up in the other photos.Possibly bad mold,bad silver,bad melting crucible,etc.

Aquitaine and KingofThings like this.
  13. Aquitaine

@Bakersgma I found some info at this site: http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=40067 when looking for more info on Dutch hallmarks! Don't know for sure how accurate the info is, but it had three of my markings.....still nothing on the "two animals?" though......so, yes, it's a 2 under the lion as you said, confirming purity, and what I thought, in the next to last picture, were letters, appears from the website, might be a sailboat???

KingofThings likes this.
  14. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

There are no 2 animals in the last photo,it is cavity/pocket which some of the contaminants have fallen out over time.

KingofThings likes this.
  15. Bakersgma

Very interesting!

KingofThings likes this.
  16. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Scroll down to the May 28, 2012 post regarding Hooijkaas on this link http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=28590 provided by Oel on the post you linked (Oel is Dutch, and very knowledgeable on Dutch silver) - you'll find your set of pseudo-marks in the first picture under the 'Pseudo marks or fantasy marks' section (less your official marks, and there is likely a date letter somewhere on your piece too). The mark that looks like animal heads to you is a fake Amsterdam city mark with only two St. Andrew's crosses.

~Cheryl

Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
  17. Aquitaine

Hollyblue, holding the item in my hand and under loup or microscope, there are definitely two raised images...........just can't figure what of...........in the last picture......

KingofThings likes this.
  18. DragonflyWink

19. Bakersgma

Thank you, Cheryl! I often forget to search the Forums when looking for greater details than have been incorporated into the main site country list!

KingofThings likes this.
  20. DragonflyWink

Not much updating on the main website in recent years, there are reasons for that, but not mine to tell...

~Cheryl

Draft saved Draft deleted