Help with Id and date of this chair

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by antiquity, Jun 30, 2019.

1. antiquity

antiquity Member

Hi all, any help appreciated with date an type of chair this is,
    Thanks,
    Bill

Attached Files:

Michael77 and judy like this.
  2. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

18th century Louis XV style, but this chair is made in 20th century.

3. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

lovely.

Michael77 likes this.
  4. antiquity

antiquity Member

Jeff,
    Would you think early 1900's or later, and is the chair carved or pressed ??
    Thanks,
    Bill

Michael77 likes this.
  5. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

Definitely nicely carved, not pressed. To me the most important question is whether period or not, not so much when a reproduction was made. Your pics aren't very close up, but it sure looks like spline/machine caning to me, which says 20th century. If hole to hole hand caned could be back into late 19th/turn of century. There is wear to the feet so maybe from back then. If you want to pin down the date more precisely, as always a high res pic of the underside and back are the most important pics (which you didn't include).

6. antiquity

antiquity Member

Hello,
    Jeff here are some pics of the caning on the rear side of the chair, hope they are clear enough to see. The seat of the chair has been worked on, as I think it likely would have had horse hair filling , along with burlap cover, instead it appears that someone has made a solid wood bottom and put batten on it. As much as the cover is old, I do not think old enough.
    Bill

Attached Files:

7. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

do you have a link to such a machine ? around here it's made by blind people.

Draft saved Draft deleted