Help with ID and Value, please? Hindu carved statue- Ramachandra?

Discussion in 'Art' started by Darkwing Manor, Oct 4, 2018.

1. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

Hello alll you well-informed folks. I am having a garage sale Sunday, trying to put a dent in the mountain of excess here. I found this in a friends' estate boxes and am wondering if this carving should go in the yard sale or on eBay. It stands 10"high by 4" wide, the base is 3.25" in diameter. The wood appears to be dark in nature, not just stained. No marks anywhere. It has some age to it, but the carving is not done by a "master" I would say. It does have a certain naive charm. I initially thought it was a female, but the chest is rather flat and the waist is not as slender as it might be for a stylized Hindu goddess. It is holding a bow and arrow I believe, and only two arms, so by process of elimination, I am guessing it is Ram. Thanks for any suggestions on price I should put on it.
    Hindu1.jpg
    Hindu2.jpg Hindu3.jpg l

Hindu5.jpg

Any Jewelry, Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

You're right, it is King Rama, also known as Ram or Ramachandra, an incarnation of the God Vishnu. And he was made in India, a very nice piece of 20th century folk art.

Hindu Gods, especially their incarnations, are often portrayed in the same elegant S-bend position as Goddesses, to emphasize their physical and spiritual beauty. Rama is regarded as a perfect (divine) human being, so elegance is appropriate.;)

Any price depends on how and where you sell.
    I am not in the US so I have no idea about garage sales, but my guess is ebay would be better. Check out prices before you decide.

Draft saved Draft deleted