Featured Help with ID if real marble sculptures

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by David 90, May 3, 2020.

1. David 90

David 90 Member

Hello everyone! I have two lovely sculptures I would like your advice on. I have done lots of research online to try and determine if my sculptures are genuine marble. I will add some pictures so you can have a look and any help would be greatly appreciated. Both sculptures are very heavy, very cold to the touch. Up close they look like sugar. I also put a small drop of vinegar on the bottom and bubbles formed. They scratch easy again in places that are not on show. I have not cleaned them as not sure if that's a good idea. If I hold them up to the light light passes through them and i could see what looked like a vein running through. These are both from the family workshop, they were wrapped in old newspaper. Any help with ID and possible age would be greatly appreciated, many thanks 20200503_112410_resized.jpg 20200503_112410_resized.jpg

Attached Files:

2. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Ah, found 'em, thanks. Lovely hand looks like marble to me too..
    Where / how did you acquire these?

Christmasjoy and kyratango like this.
  3. David 90

David 90 Member

Thanks these were in my family workshop that I have just spent weeks clearing lots of furniture from . There was lots of lovely old furniture too but unfortunately it was completely riddled with woodworm even a nice wicker basket had woodworm right through. At least they couldn't eat the marble

4. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

watch out when visiting Germany that you don't bring some Stone Lice home.
    [​IMG]
    it might have consequences that are comparable to the Blitz.

5. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

6. David 90

David 90 Member

7. Aquitaine

You're most welcome!

8. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Figtree3, patd8643, kyratango and 7 others like this.
  9. Aquitaine

I followed that through a bit.....LOVE Prince Albert's Love Token to Q. Victoria!

Queen_Victorias_sapphire_and_diamond_coronet_1X.jpg

Last edited: May 3, 2020
  10. David 90

David 90 Member

That's very interesting maybe they are from around the 19th century.

11. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

I don’t know the age of yours, just wondering about the tradition. I’ve not seen an arm like that before. Always learning on this Forum. Thank you for sharing them. :)

12. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Agree, marble, 19th century. One maybe a baby in a christening gown? The other (are there any more than 2? I can't quite tell) adult one, has a wedding ring on the right hand. Did people used to wear them on the right? Can you tell from the size whether it is male or female? Someone's child & spouse.

Great link, @i need help Think I had seen the baby teeth earrings before, but not the arms or the portrait bracelet. Children all look so much alike when they were 4.

@David 90 What did the family workshop make/do?

13. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

It looks like the smaller arm and the pillow might be alabaster and the larger arm might be marble.

komokwa, Aquitaine, antidiem and 4 others like this.
  14. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

The baby's arm looks more like alabaster.
    Both alabaster and marble are soft and can be scratched. I don't know what the vinegar test proves.

Do not wash with water. If alabaster, water slightly dissolves the stone and will take away the sharp details.

Use a good micro fiber duster or soft dry cloth.

15. clutteredcloset49

OOPs see that Book had the same idea as me.

komokwa, Aquitaine, antidiem and 3 others like this.
  16. David 90

David 90 Member

Hi thanks for the information. The hand is approximately 25 cm long and I'd say a ladies hand size.

17. David 90

David 90 Member

Hi is alabaster the same weight as marble? The arm is very heavy hard and cold to the touch With the same sugar look to it . Its sparkly under a light too. Many thanks

kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  18. clutteredcloset49

What kind of workshop did your family have. A business?

Christmasjoy, Bronwen and i need help like this.
  19. clutteredcloset49

Yes alabaster is heavy. I have an alabaster head, I didn't know about the water and I washed her. I could see some of the detail get lost. I don't wash her anymore.

20. David 90

David 90 Member

That's interesting and has alabaster got the same sugar look to it? I'm trying to figure out what the difference between the two are now

kyratango, Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted