Help with ID on Navajo? Rug

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by tolerablebeams, Apr 14, 2020.

1. tolerablebeams

tolerablebeams New Member

I recently picked up this rug from a Salvation Army for $10 assuming it was probably a Mexican reproduction.

After some research I noticed that it seems to have lazy lines, continuous warp, and side selvage cords.

Any information about the legitimacy of this rug, the age, and meaning of the red symbols would be greatly appreciated.

Don't mind the dog hair!

KikoBlueEyes, anundverkaufen and judy like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I don't think it's that old....but I pretty much would have grabbed it out of your arms for 10 bucks !! :happy::happy::happy:
    Looks Navajo to me...

3. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

It looks correct for Navajo. The design looks similar to early rugs from the 1920-1940s era, with the large blocky figures and lots of open space. But that tan color I associate more with later rugs, c. 1950s-1960s. I doubt that the red key pattern has any specific meaning.
    @Taupou can tell you more. Nice buy for $10.

tolerablebeams and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted