Help with ID signature

Discussion in 'Art' started by Sdcookie2, Feb 15, 2021.

1. Sdcookie2

Sdcookie2 Well-Known Member

Hiya any help much appreciated Screenshot_20210215-175925_copy_768x933.png Screenshot_20210215-180049_copy_768x300.png

judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Looks like it might be charcoal? Partial Signature looks like it could be 'M. Eurari' then can't read the rest........

judy and i need help like this.
  3. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Hi Aquitaine, thanks! Well, it appears to be a metal plate etching. If I had to guess, I don't think it's much older than the 1970s and likely a zinc plate was used. The edges of the plate were filed curved as you see, but the artist wasn't very precise on this in many ways, could even be student art. Nothing written on the back? @Sdcookie2

4. antidiem

Looks to be a take off on another artist's work.

5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Can't help with the siggy, but I love it. Nice quality, and a beautiful meditative mood.

And I am with @antidiem , it looks like an etching. No idea of the age though, I leave that to the experts on paper, etc.

antidiem and judy like this.
  6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Done with great economy but by someone who knew what he was doing.

Debora

antidiem likes this.
  7. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I was up in the air....charcoal or etching.....glad you 'gals' figured it out!

antidiem likes this.
  8. rpm_1969

rpm_1969 New Member

It's an etching, probably post 1850 as artists didn't start hand-signing them until then.

You can't really judge the quality of an etching from a photograph, as etchings are --- literally, even if on a micro level-- three-dimensional objects. The scratches etched on the plate by acid or scratched into it with a dry point force the paper to raise on the ink lines when pressed under high pressure in their making.

One of the best ways to guess a print's age is the paper. Buying any print sealed in a frame is pretty foolish, though I take a chance now and then, ha. Best to look at the paper -- or a photo of the paper -- taken in front of a bright lamp or sunny window, so you can see the watermarks (if any) and what kind of paper it is. Most older prints will be on laid paper with a ladder-work impression from the screens where the paper dried.

Anyway it's a nice looking etching, I like the wash of ink left on the plate that colors the background. From the style and content I'd say first half of the 20th century, or a more current artist aiming for that look!

9. antidiem

Only partially due to the rough and badly filed edges, my thought was a student "aiming for that look" (thank you, rpm). It appears the artist had more interest in parts, than the whole in its entirety, but overall it's nice quality.

Draft saved Draft deleted