Help with identifying and dating a fruit bowl

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by JF12, Jan 25, 2020.

1. JF12

JF12 New Member

660B5E06-57C1-4175-907C-01A767942203.jpeg

My grandmother has this in her china cabinet. This was passed down to her by her mother. She seems to think this was originally her great grandmother’s who was born in the 1820s and died in the 1890s. I haven’t seen any markings on it and I don’t know how old it actually is

Attached Files:

2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Its early american pressed glass.
    Late 1800s to early 1900s. It's possible it could be as early as the 1870s, which might mean your great great grandmother could have possibly owned it.
    One of the Daisy and Button patterns. Many glass companies made variations of the pattern.

Maybe @TallCakes will have more info.

Welcome to the board. Be sure to check back. People come and go at all hours here.

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  3. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
  4. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Hi JF12!

Welcome to Antiquers............

5. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

Tall does it again. Nice piece.

6. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

I also have that bowl because I love D&B, also have some berry bowls. Would love to have a blue one. What will you be doing with this bowl? If you're selling it, I would encourage you to clean it up very well and keep it for awhile. Guaranteed to grow on you.

7. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

If interested, Daisy and Button was first introduced as a cut pattern called "Russian." Ca. 1882-3 Then pressed glass versions started showing up in 1883, called "Hobnail" (remember octagonal headed nails in shoes? No. I guess not.)

I'm not sure when it became "Daisy and Button", but it wasn't in the 19th century.

8. JF12

JF12 New Member

komokwa likes this.
  9. JF12

JF12 New Member

We definitely plan on keeping it since it’s been in the family so long. I’ve just always wondered about the history behind it .

pearlsnblume likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted