Help with identifying and dating this lidded vase

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Jackie eccles, Aug 15, 2019.

1. Jackie eccles

Jackie eccles New Member

2. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

3. Jackie eccles

Jackie eccles New Member

Thankyou very much.... I will give it a try x

4. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Your Delft vase was made by De Porceleyne Fles (Royal Delft), like the link above. They use a letter dating system and BY is from 1954. The other initials on the left would be the artist who painted it.

5. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Would this be considered a ginger jar?

Jackie eccles and komokwa like this.
  6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

without the size...it's hard to say.....but vase with a lid.....not so much..

Jackie eccles and i need help like this.
  7. i need help

I thought the finial looks “Foo-dogish.”

8. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Once upon a time Europeans didn't know how to make porcelain but were in love with imported Chinese porcelain. They closest they got in copying the Chinese style of porcelain was tin-glazed earthenware. They did try to make it look as much like Chinese porcelain as they could so much of the traditional Delft and delftware styles are versions of those so they often have foo-dogish bits. Of course they developed their own flavor over the years too. Most modern Delftware isn't tin-glazed anymore but the style is like it.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
  9. i need help

Thank you for the in-depth answer, @say_it_slowly. :)

10. Jackie eccles

Jackie eccles New Member

You have all been extremely helpful... thankyou so much! This is a great site x

BoudiccaJones likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted