Help with Identifying Artist

Discussion in 'Art' started by Eric Haefli, Nov 28, 2020.

1. Eric Haefli

Eric Haefli Active Member

I have two paintings on which I have had no luck identifying the artist. Can anyone help me. One is a watercolor of cows standing in water. The other is an oil painting of a sailing ship. Thank you in advance for your help.

Attached Files:

judy and Houseful like this.
  2. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

cows is the better painting, typical late 19th early 20thc scottish thing, ship ...well ...ok decorator thing I guess

i need help and aaroncab like this.
  3. Eric Haefli

I agree that the cow painting is better than the ship painting. The frame on the ship painting is not good. However, the waves and ship are pretty well painted. I think it is in need of cleaning. To me, the ship painting looks like it might have been owned by a smoker because of the yellowish residue on the surface.

i need help likes this.
  4. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

Siggie on the marine painting looks like Martini.
    Staining Could be nicotine and also some varnishes go yellow with age too.

i need help likes this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I'm with blooey, the cow painting is far better quality.
    It could have been painted in the Netherlands. The second cow from the left looks like a Dutch 'Lakenvelder', now a rare breed.

[​IMG]

Lakenvelders:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 29, 2020
    judy and i need help like this.
  6. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

7. Any Jewelry

Yes! I see it now, that is the siggy, Jan Vrolijk. He is well-known, not hugely famous, but a good painter. He was a member of the prestigious The Hague artist's society 'Pulchri Studio', which means quality.

[​IMG]

Debora and i need help like this.
  8. Eric Haefli

Thank you Rink28. Thank you, thank you, thank you!! It is unbelievable to me how you and others have so much knowledge. I feel like an amateur. Now, I'm worried that what I have is a print because that is the same painting.

I bought it 15 years ago at a quality auction house who described it as a watercolor. When I look at it with a magnifying glass, there are no "dots" like what I would expect on a print. Oil paintings and other medium that are thicker applications are easy to tell. Watercolors are more difficult to differentiate between real and print.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

10. Any Jewelry

I think you are right.:(

Draft saved Draft deleted