Help with identifying fur coat

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by stoker, Feb 10, 2021.

1. stoker

stoker New Member

Hi all.

Can anyone please help me with providing any information on this fur coat? Any idea if it is real fur, type of fur, brand, value etc?

From what I can see, it says "arpad furs" and "33 Burton Street W1" on the inside, but I am very unfamiliar with fur coats and so I have no idea what that means or if it has any substantial value.

Google drive link with photos:
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1HQAs0VcvnV8X-lrkkavc-gHC-iIf6gCd?usp=sharing

Thanks!

2. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

Almost nobody here will click on unknown links. Please post your photos directly to this thread.

komokwa likes this.
  3. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

White mink. Arpad were a very high end furrier indeed, I remember them. Heart of Mayfair. Generally, fur coats don't sell well, but that would have been couture quality, silk lined and made to measure. I can't find a free link, but they were set up in 1954, dissolved some time much later.

stoker likes this.
  4. stoker

stoker New Member

I did try but unfortunately, the pictures were too large to be uploaded to the forum.

Much appreciated for the detailed reply!

5. stoker

stoker New Member

6. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

7. Ownedbybear

Most welcome. I had a Christmas job working for a fabulous couture gown shop in Mayfair in the early seventies. Arpad were in Davies Street as well as the shop I worked in.

judy and stoker like this.
  8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The owner's monogram not embroidered anywhere?

Debora

9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I think that should more properly be called a jacket.

Debora

stoker likes this.
  10. Ownedbybear

Agreed, and designed as a an evening jacket. Monogram might be in the sleeve.

stoker likes this.
  11. stoker

stoker New Member

Would you have any idea what would be an appropriate value for this jacket, as I am thinking of selling it? It is immaculate. Thank you again.

12. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Have you determined the size? Women tended to be tiny in the 1950s (especially women who could afford a coat of that quality.) It may be at the low end of the modern size range which would limit its appeal.

Debora

stoker likes this.
  13. Ownedbybear

Good point on size. Normally, minks are cheap here, but given the make and quality, that could do a couple of hundred. Originally, the equivalent cost would have been four figures. Those skins are beautifully matched and it will be mostly hand sewn, too.

stoker likes this.
  14. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Even the "label" is hand embroidered.

Debora

stoker likes this.
  15. Ownedbybear

Yup. As I say, I remember the shop and it was very fancy. Like many of the best gown shops, run by Continental Jewish emigres and escapees: that was very much the pattern of much of the London fashion, fabric and haberdashery industries pre and post war. It went in a hierarchy from the East End sweat shops to high end Mayfair. The one I worked in was owned by my best friend's aunt, complete with seamstresses in the basement workshop. I used to be sent off to Berwick Street to match threads and trimmings. Learned a lot from that, too. There must have been thirty or forty haberdashers, and heaven knows how many fabric ones. Margaret Street too.

stoker and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted