Help with identifying hanging cabinet

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Ray1982, Sep 3, 2022.

1. Ray1982

Ray1982 New Member

1.png 2.png 3.png hi i am new here but need some advice with this hanging locker.

it looks chinese or japanese to me, but i'm not sure.
    A google search didn't reveal much either. so any advice, what is and what country and age is welcome.

some details,
    size
    high 84cm
    wide 61cm
    deep 22cm

beautiful carvings.
    inlaid with wood and ivory?

cheer

Last edited: Sep 3, 2022
    Any Jewelry likes this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Hello, Ray! Would you be kind enough and go back and post your photographs as Full Image rather than Thumbnail so they're easier for everyone to see? (Those will be your choices after Upload a File: Choose File.) I've taken the liberty of doing the first for you.

Debora

1.png

antidiem likes this.
  3. Ray1982

Ray1982 New Member

thanks for the advice!
    it has been done.

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Ray, I give that advice to all new members. They all do the exact same thing with first posts. Not a problem.

Debora

komokwa likes this.
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

6. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Certainly an aesthetic movement ebonized cabinet. The inspiration for this movement was Asian, specifically Japanese. It may be English in the manner of Henry Batley, although the inlay doesn't seem to be quite up to his standards. I also wouldn't rule out India as a point of origin.

The wood is likely cherry, though of course its hard to say without having it in front of me. The date is likely ca. 1880. The fact that the bottom of the piece is flat makes me think that it was designed to sit on something else, another cabinet say, and that any holes in the back of this cabinet might be to secure it, but probably not hang it. To be sure, look underneath the cabinet, especially at the corners, and see if it seems to be missing anything. If it appears always to have been flat, then it is indeed supposed to have sat on another piece of furniture. Unusual, but not unheard of.

Overall a very nice piece. I have no idea where you are, but would guess England since you used cm as your unit of measure. Thinking about $500-$1000 U.S. as a value in the right auction.

Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
  7. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Agree pretty much with the above. Has this been painted? .... or is it ebonized? Either way, the finish needs a bit of help. The auction estimate seems high if this has been painted.

Draft saved Draft deleted