Help with identifying L&N railroad gas lamps Louisville & Nashville RR

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Gunrunner, Dec 16, 2019.

1. Gunrunner

Gunrunner New Member

I have had zero luck identifying these lamps other than they are L&N railroad lamps and that they were originally gas lamps converted to electric. Each lamp has 3 glass panels etched with L&N, they weigh about 15lbs each. Any help is greatly appreciated! I'm looking for possible age and where these might have been originally placed...at a station or? And whether or not these have any value before they get turned into side lamps on my barn! Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It came off of a building, probably a station from the looks of it. They're not junk; railroad geeks would pay big bucks for those with that frosted glass. They'll need rewiring, but some rail nut would be all over them.

3. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

They look like heavily tarnised brass on the exteriors (don't try and clean them). Check them with a magnet to be sure.

If you can determine if they are, in fact, from L&N Railroad, people will be very interested, as evelyb, mentions. Yes, depot and could even had been at company headquarters.

The time period is probably in later half of the 1800s. But gas lights were still widely used through the mid 1920s. Once electricity was mainstream (and safe), they probably converted them to get more mileage. They may have still been hanging during WWII since they probably would have been scrapped if they were lying around someplace.

anundverkaufen and judy like this.
  4. Gunrunner

Gunrunner New Member

I checked, not brass. I'll post a few more pics

Christmasjoy and sabre123 like this.
  5. anundverkaufen

anundverkaufen Bird Feeder

In which part of the country did you acquire them? Might be helpful in finding if they were from a depot local to you.

komokwa, Christmasjoy and sabre123 like this.
  6. evelyb30

They're still saleable even if they're fantasy pieces, but if they're converted gas fixtures the metal at least is the right age.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  7. sabre123

If you can post them in the thread, and at full size, it would be better. Thanks.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  8. Gunrunner

Gunrunner New Member

Screenshot_20191216-180800_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20191216-180825_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20191216-180848_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20191216-180910_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20191216-180733_Gallery.jpg

9. Gunrunner

Gunrunner New Member

Thanks guys for your input. I bought these here in Florida. The owner I bought them from used to work for CSX railroads.

10. sabre123

Those are really nice lights. If you can locate an old photo of a depot with them, you could help your cause. I would spend a little time doing some research.

Is that a porcelain keyed socket that's been painted silver?

komokwa likes this.
  11. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

I like the "Flickering Light bulb" - last time I saw those were from Spencer Gifts (Midway Mall, Elyria, OHIO) in the 70's when there were still "black light" posters!. Didn't know they still made those!

komokwa likes this.
  12. Gunrunner

Gunrunner New Member

I'll check the sockets and see if they are ceramic. I've done a fair bit of research on trying to find anything similar to the lights but nothing that matches the Victorian style of lights, but agree that they were either building mounted or mounted to a tall post.

13. sabre123

Bakersgma likes this.
  14. evelyb30

Seconded. If those are legit, they'll probably take them off your hands so fast....

15. Gunrunner

Gunrunner New Member

The light sockets are indeed ceramic or porcelain. I did contact Filson, the agree with everything stated here but I would have to pay them to research old schematics and blueprints to find out exactly where they would have been installed at. The beginning rate is 70.00 an hour...

sabre123 likes this.
  16. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

nice of them to offer........:rolleyes::rolleyes:

sabre123 likes this.
  17. sabre123

Scratch that! Depending on your ambition level, you could always try a large metropolitan library that has a robust research section that you can peruse.

Probably were converted to electric quite some time ago, given the porcelain socket bases.

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted