Featured Help with identifying this item please!

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Tanarina, Feb 7, 2019.

1. Tanarina

Tanarina New Member

Hi!
    Would anyone be able to provide any insight /dates/ANYTHING!! About the attached photos of this pottery? I am very new to this and any help would be much appreciated!!!
    20190208_114358.jpg 20190208_114349.jpg 20190208_114439.jpg

2. rink28

rink28 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum! To me it looks pretty modern. I assume "joan" hand painted this to a woman named "nellie" as a gift. Joan was probably someone who did this in their free time. I'll let someone else who knows more though cause I could be wrong

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

portugal....we've seen these...very nice pitcher & basin....

sec - XVll....could be a date...

4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Since it's Portugal, the person who painted this was Joao, not Joan, and he's a man.

Tanarina, aaroncab, Jivvy and 7 others like this.
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Frazarte is the name of the ceramics factory that produced your piece. They're located in Batalha, which is between Lisbon and Coimbra. As noted above, it's João not Joan. (Translates to John.). Sec. is an abbreviation for Século which translates to Century. Obviously not a 17th century piece but perhaps loosely inspired by. Appears to be of recent and rather commercial manufacture.

Debora

Tanarina, aaroncab, Jivvy and 11 others like this.
  6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Here's another piece, also with 17th Century-style decoration, from the company. Sold at auction in Portugal for €10.

Debora

2092457_2.jpg

Tanarina, aaroncab, kyratango and 4 others like this.
  8. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Tanarina, welcome! I love your pitcher & bowl.

I am a big fan of Portuguese ceramics and have quite a few pieces in styles similar to what you've shown here.

I agree with what Bakers and Debora have posted above. (The lidded piece Debora showed seems to have been signed by the same person who signed yours:
    img0 (24).jpg https://en.todocoleccion.net/vintag...-portugal-frazarte-hand-painted-joa~x65689958 )

I do not speak/read Portuguese, so I was dealing with Google Translate, but the last reference I could find for production from Frazarte was for a shipment sent to NY in 2008. That may have been around the time they became insolvent and shut down. (As others have mentioned, your pieces are modern, dating sometime after 1980, but before the firm's closing, probably before 2010.)

The designs on modern Portuguese ceramics are often based on older designs, and the use of Sec. followed by Roman numerals generally refers to the century of the original design.

Many pieces do not carry a company name (like Frazarte) but instead simply show the name of the town in which the piece was made. (For ex: Berardos, Coimbra, Caldas da Rainha, Alcobaça...)

I don't have any Frazarte myself, and some of my pieces are older, but here are a couple things from my collection with some similarities to yours:
    img0 (20).jpg
    img0 (21).jpg img0 (23).jpg

Tanarina, aaroncab, Sandra and 7 others like this.
  9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

so...XVII...17 th century STYLE....?

Tanarina, aaroncab, kyratango and 2 others like this.
  10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Yep. In the style of.

Debora

Tanarina, aaroncab, Jivvy and 4 others like this.
  11. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

WELCOME Tanarina !!! ... Joy. :)

Tanarina and kyratango like this.
  12. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum Tanarina.

The date can be confusing, but as Debora said, it refers to the style. This is classic Portuguese pottery decorated in a 17th century style.
    Frazarte was a pretty recent company, and not at the top end of the scale, but they made nice ceramics. Because they also accomodated tours of the factory, more of their ceramics ended up overseas than of the other manufacturers.
    Maybe their factory had to close because there were older firms making better quality ceramics, but that is just speculation. Portugal's economy took a blow from the recession, so they were not the only factory to close.

It is very likely your lovely set was signed by Frazarte painter Joao while tourist Nellie was visiting the Frazarte factory. A nice personal touch.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
    Tanarina, aaroncab, komokwa and 8 others like this.
  13. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Salad Nicoise, sangria, cobalt plates and glasses, pale rose-colored napkins, white wicker furniture, a summer day on the patio..

14. Any Jewelry

Colares wine from your year of birth, in a pousada which was closed until the summer season, but opened its doors in march just because you asked directions to the nearest winery....

15. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

And pastels de nata.

16. JayBee

JayBee Well-Known Member

Nice to see someone loves the Portuguese pastel de nata! ;)

And by the way, Joao (John in English) can be either a man or a woman, same as Maria (Mary) --- both common names.

And bhy the way, if you do a search for ceramica Frazarte or faianca frazarte you get a lot of hits. Most seem to have a coat of arms of sorts.

There was the Frazarte Fábrica (factory) da Batalha (city name) --- a piece of news dating back to 2011 shows workers protesting:

"Employees protest against collective dismissal of employees, done in an illegal and savage way, and are claiming their rights," said Jose Fernando, noting that the owner of the company "did not comply with the legal requirements" for dismissal. The official explained that "no mechanism has been activated so that workers can receive the compensation to which they are entitled," adding that the majority of Frazarte's 30 employees (etc.)"

So Frazarte was probably a small ceramics factory that went bankrupt?

There used to be a website http://www.frazarte.com now available for sale... and http://www.frazarte.pt/ does not open...

17. Silver Wolf

Silver Wolf Well-Known Member

if it's ronaldo's signature i think i'll buy one :smuggrin::smuggrin:

Tanarina likes this.
  18. Any Jewelry

They are very nice, but after two bites you feel like your teeth are about to fall out. And after three bites you know you are going to put on weight.:arghh:
    Just waiting for someone who loves Colares wine....

Christmasjoy and kyratango like this.
  19. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

:p:p Steatopygous is the new trend!;)
    I could eat a tray of pastels de nata:oops::shame:

Does the Colares wine exists "alcohol-removed"?;):angelic::hilarious::hilarious:

Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
  20. Any Jewelry

Kyra! Go wash your mouth!:rage::hilarious:

Christmasjoy and kyratango like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted