Featured Help with Initials TS, Scandinavian?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Ratsy Brown, Jun 4, 2018.

1. Ratsy Brown

Ratsy Brown Well-Known Member

Bought this pretty butterfly brooch. Has a Scandinavian look to it but I can't find a maker for it. Hallmarks show TS 925, I can't get a clear look at the last two but I think Leopards head and import mark?

IMG_20180603_143515.jpg IMG_20180603_143522.jpg IMG_20180603_143608.jpg

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Lovely brooch, Ratsy.
    The marks are rather worn or struck with a very old punch. I don't really recognize the London leopard or the import mark, but maybe others will.
    Here is an edited detail of the two marks.
    upload_2018-6-4_13-18-11.jpeg

Christmasjoy and Ratsy Brown like this.
  3. Ratsy Brown

Thanks AJ, I will have another go at photographing the marks after work. From the design and the clasp I am quite certain this is a modern brooch

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I don't see anything there that looks like any of the post-1904 British import marks either, although each assay office had its own mark replacing the town mark. From what I can tell, the leopard for London would not appear in conjunction with the London import mark anyway.

See here (bottom of the page) for the overall explanation and click on the Examples link to see all the import marks post-1904. http://www.925-1000.com/british_marks.html

It's a lovely brooch, Ratsy!

5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

6. Any Jewelry

Yes, the style is Modernist. The Scandinavians were famous for their Modernist jewellery, so your idea that it is Scandinavian could be right. I don't really recognize the marks as Scandinavian though.

7. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Try Thomas Sabo.

8. Ratsy Brown

Slightly clearer picture. Still not sure what I see

IMG_20180606_125815.jpg

Christmasjoy and Any Jewelry like this.
  9. Any Jewelry

The tower on the right looks like a very worn Edinburgh hallmark, but it doesn't have the thistle standard mark for Scottish sterling.
    The one next to it is a mystery to me.

Christmasjoy, popsycat and judy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted