Help with Japanese mark on inherited cream & sugar set

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by LaneAcadia, Jul 7, 2018.

1. LaneAcadia

LaneAcadia Member

I have a vague recollection of being told that this belonged to my great-grandmother, who died in 1932. I haven't seen it in years, though, and it's far and away one of my favorite family "heirlooms", even if it's nothing more than mass-produced ceramic. Both pieces are hand-painted with a fox hunt theme and have the same mark on the bottom. There's some crazing, but no chips or cracks in either piece. Unfortunately, I can't find the mark to save my life. I've searched high and low on every site dedicated to Japanese porcelain I can find, and while I've seen plenty that are similar or include some version of Mt. Fuji, I can't find this one.

I know the lack of a distinctive or highly recognizable mark means there's probably little monetary value in the set, but I still want to know as much of its "story" as possible because it has value to me. :)

image.jpeg

Love these handles! (The sugar bowl has one on each side.)

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

2. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

i need help likes this.
  3. LaneAcadia

LaneAcadia Member

Thanks! My first thought was Fukagawa too, but with nothing resembling the iconic river, I was afraid that might be a stretch. I'll keep looking, though -- the links are much appreciated.

i need help likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted