Featured Help with "Lady of Spain" perfume lamp?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by scoutshouse, Sep 9, 2018.

1. scoutshouse

scoutshouse Well-Known Member

I found one on Sheryl's Art Deco site, but with no mark. It took me a while to see there actually is one on this piece.

I think this one is sweet, as she has a beauty mark and nice shawl? detail and the cherries on yellow background are giving me a Quimper vibe

The only damage I can see is the slight loss of rouge - most likely from people trying to scratch off her beauty mark :( !!

About 9" tall x 6.75" skirt/base. All wired up and functioning.

The mark looks like an inverted V with writing+possibly "France"+circle with 4 letters - any help with the mark would be appreciated! Thanks!

LAU_Perfume Lamp-2.jpg LAU_Perfume Lamp-6.jpg LAU_Perfume Lamp-16.jpg LAU_Perfume Lamp-9.jpg

I futzed around with the image - you all may have better luck with that

Perfume Lamp Mark.jpg

Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
  2. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

3. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

what a sweet piece scoutshouse:) that mark looks familiar, I'll see if I can find it.
    that site you posted is wonderful, all those beautiful lamps!

4. scoutshouse

Right?? SO.MANY.ITEMS.

What a great resource, I was thinking. But I didn't see a search function and she has SO.MANY.ITEMS.

5. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

This name is taking me all over Pinterest, but you can look into it.
    CD172C25-219B-4D1A-8D27-CFAABA9416AE.png

Disregard

Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
  6. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

7. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

I couldn't find a search function either, but still a great site to look through:)

8. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

9. scoutshouse

THANK YOU, @cxgirl !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wonder why Sheryl's Art Deco didn't at least ID the pink lady lamp in the first link as Etling? She doesn't show marks or more than one image on her pages.

Screenshot 2018-09-09 19.24.20.png

Rare Ceramic Lady BOX by Chiparus
    French ceramic box by Demetre Chiparus measuring 9 inches (23cm) tall and 6.75 inches across at it's widest at the base. This same box can be viewed in the new Chiparus book by Alberto Shayo on page 263 and the title is Vestale. Artist painted signature to the side at the back CHIPARUS and bearing (in script) on the underside the manufacture's trademark: EDITIONS ETLING / PARIS / FRANCE in red ink plus a logo with the initials SEGB. A French art deco piece manufactured in France circa 1920s at the beginning of the Art-Deco era. Condition is very good with no damage or repairs.

Ref: CH1662 . . . £1,995

They rarely show the marks...

Below is from a Spanish site - maybe a Chiparus blank, painted by Gazand? By faces they could be sisters :) I have such regard for Chiparus, so I'm hesitant to say it's his work, w/o mark. But the more pieces I see attributed to him, I guess it's not totally unlikely.

Then again, the mark on mine is not that brick/terra cotta color, either. Don't know much about knock-offs from this era.

Screenshot 2018-09-09 19.29.14.png Screenshot 2018-09-09 19.33.45.png

10. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

These are all really beautiful!

11. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I love your Spanish beauty, and I think she is nicer than her friends. The J. Gazan one is different, though, a flowing skirt, and no feet showing. Slightly less stylized than the others.
    She has wonderful 'stuff', I immediately got lost in the jewellery pages of course.:rolleyes: (Found my way back here again.)
    Her passion for Art Deco shows, which I love. But she doesn't seem to do too much research, which could be why she doesn't see the need for a search function.
    And I always want more pictures per item, certainly of bases and backs.

12. scoutshouse

Yes, I see the difference, too, @Any Jewelry...

Also, I thought most Chiparus (for example) tend to be more exotic, but I also see a lot of similarities to other comps... They have the same "flavor" like posture and expression but not all the same details, like peek-a-boo feet.

As characters, Spanish "ladies" were as exotic as the Egyptians, Arabs, Buddhas and Apaches(?) at the time.

There may have been Chiparus blanks, painted by different artists - Gazan modeled a very similar and expressive face (to mine), but also managed to paint the the blue bodice over one of her arms!

Chiparus would never have done that :)

I LOVE it when the ladies at my local thrift say enthusiastically, "We just put that out!"

How lucky am I, not really sure I can blow the $15 they're asking?!

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
  13. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

I agree, it drives me nuts when there is no photo of the base or the marks.

I bet you were doing a little happy dance:)

14. Jivvy

Jivvy the research is my favorite

I don't know if this will help, but I do have a "search tip" for sites with no search function.

Go to google.com. In the google search box, enter the following:

site:http://(space)(url)(search terms)

For example, to search Sheryl's Art Deco site for "spanish lady", you enter the following in the google search box:

site:http://www.sheryls-artdeco.co.uk/ spanish lady

(Ignore the fact that those urls are hyperlinked... that's the message board software doing that, not me)

15. scoutshouse

Thanks @Jivvy

I did something similar - "Sheryl's art deco etling chiparus" and the box shown above appeared. That was a coup, bc she had included all the auction information including the name of the piece: "Vestale" Again, it's a box, so I don't know if lamps are more or less desirable.

Then I was able to find a few others with his signature :) So there's no doubt, mine is not signed - even illegibly - on the bottom.

Invaluable
    If you scroll down, you'll find this piece is now open for bids at Est: $250 - $350 and opening at $175 0 bid. Closes on the 18th, I think... From $4000/$5000 estimate! edit - not a lamp, another box

Thanks, everyone - so much fun and to learn!

Screenshot 2018-09-10 14.11.02.png Screenshot 2018-09-10 14.10.08.png

Bonus: it has a nice history and background of Etling and a new term for perfume lamp: “VEILLEUSE-BRULE-PARFUM”
    Screenshot 2018-09-10 14.23.32.png

Any Jewelry, antidiem and Jivvy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted