Featured Help with large breakfast cup please.

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by John Brassey, Apr 23, 2021.

1. John Brassey

John Brassey Well-Known Member

This very large breakfast cup and saucer arrived today. Both are very finely painted and lavishly gilded (although the interior and rim gilding is sadly rubbed).

The only marks are an incised circle and an incised number.

I feel that they can only be Paris or possibly Russian.

Date wise I am thinking c1830

Any thoughts?

John

FE55D9DD-80AD-459E-9719-6592EC9CD7CE.jpeg DFBAE397-C4C5-4D57-BB54-75B58BC4C119.jpeg AD4C17DD-CEEC-480B-ABF9-E55B91BD23A2.jpeg F8517518-5807-4E25-A14E-A256C09D32C2.jpeg 2D42AB0A-4F29-4470-9235-EC11F2F26E90.jpeg E18B6659-3717-4E62-B4FF-23A9BD151C56.jpeg CF68672E-020E-43DB-9CCC-64AAE01B031B.jpeg

Figtree3, Firemandk, Branka and 5 others like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Beautiful, John. I can't help though.:sorry:

i need help, pearlsnblume and Ce BCA like this.
  3. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Neither can I, BUT you find the most GORGEOUS, and COLORFUL sets!!!! Makes me a wee bit envious!!!!!!!!!!!!:):):):happy::happy:

i need help, pearlsnblume and Ce BCA like this.
  4. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

I think that is a pretty good take and I would concur on the dating. The raised gilding and the way the gilt has softened on the rim does have an Austro/Bohemian/Germanic look, but the colours and painting look wrong for this region, so it's probably not worth exploring.

The ground colours match the old Dutch Princes flag, but I doubt that has any relevance either.

5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Unfortunately now a controversial flag, used by the extreme right movements.:( There goes our history.:rolleyes:

6. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

That's not something I had heard about before, it's a shame when this kind of thing happens. In the UK they seem to mostly go for Nazi symbolism - at least those are tainted already I guess.

judy, Any Jewelry and John Brassey like this.
  7. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

All I can offer is that it is a stunning tea cup set.

8. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

What is this? The other side has horns and this looks like part might be a pipe and dagger. Old bagpipe like thing? (I give up) Thought it might help with a region.

upload_2021-4-23_15-43-20.png

judy, Figtree3, CheersDears and 2 others like this.
  9. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Well, @say_it_slowly, the dagger is clear, is there a large axe blade? and I'm not sure
    what the rest all represents.....but nice!!!!!

upload_2021-4-23_15-43-20-verycompressed-scale-2_00x-gigapixel.jpg

judy, John Brassey and pearlsnblume like this.
  10. Ahw684

Ahw684 Member

I think that the yellow thing might be a warrior helmet of some kind. The “blade” part maybe being a decoration on the helmet? Almost Roman looking.

judy, Figtree3 and John Brassey like this.
  11. MT Vessel

MT Vessel Well-Known Member

I’m inclined toward German/Austrian/Czech porcelain. The sceptre looks like that of Berlin and the floral decoration reminds me of folk art from the region. Perhaps not the quality of KPM but there are images online which are not dissimilar. I’m sure others are right in concentrating on the motifs in the reserves including the horn, trumpet?, axe, dagger etc.

judy and Figtree3 like this.
  12. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Figtree3, MT Vessel and pearlsnblume like this.
  13. John Brassey

Thanks everyone. Using reverse image search I’ve found a number of identical or near identically shaped cups. One was a link that didn’t work two others were described as Paris and another Silesian. Annoying about the failed link one as I am certain it was the same maker.

judy and Ce BCA like this.
  14. MT Vessel

MT Vessel Well-Known Member

It’s very frustrating when links lead to a dead end - it’s happened to me so many times, often with images on Pinterest.

judy, John Brassey and Ce BCA like this.
  15. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Can you photo the inside bottom of the cup please?

judy likes this.
  16. John Brassey

9DBF060A-C1B5-4063-80C5-C7A7AC321082.jpeg

judy, Figtree3 and i need help like this.
  17. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

judy and Figtree3 like this.
  18. John Brassey

judy and i need help like this.
  19. John Brassey

I had it looked at by a contact in Bonhams. They think it is probably Bohemian so spot on thanks. Date correct c1840-50

20. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

That was a quick reply! Interesting discussion here, too.

judy, John Brassey and Hamburger like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted