Help with large cookoo clock

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by cmc0605, Nov 30, 2021.

1. cmc0605

cmc0605 New Member

Hi everyone, I need help identifying this cookoo clock with a moose (and many other animals). It's quite large, this photo is taken going up the staircase of a family member's house, so it will require some work to take down. My mom says it was purchased before she was born moose_clock (2).jpg

judy and Houseful like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

nice...but not a moose !!:happy:;)

that said.....yup...u gotta take it down....and we need to see a clear shot of the working mechanism , for any tell tale marks....

oh...and where is it now.....and where was it bought...??????

3. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

judy, sabre123 and komokwa like this.
  4. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

Hi cmc,

I've brightened up your photo to show the details:

cuckoo.jpg

pearlsnblume, kyratango, judy and 3 others like this.
  5. komokwa

it's a hunters clock fer sure....but...does it really coo koo ????

I'm not seeing a door !

pearlsnblume, kyratango, judy and 3 others like this.
  6. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

Don’t think it’s a moose, antlers are different. This could be what is called a Black Forest carving. Switzerland was the home of the cuckoo clock!

7. cmc0605

cmc0605 New Member

Oops, thanks!
    She was born in 1957. Sorry that I only have this one image now, but height wise it's probably 5+ feet tall and I think quite bulky. Apologies if everything about my description is wrong. She said it was a cookoo, but could be wrong. I don't know anything about this stuff :)

judy and komokwa like this.
  8. komokwa

[​IMG]

wow....there are a lot of these on the web.......likely German in origin..

9. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

10. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

We had a cuckoo clock for many years... ex-hubby had bought it in the Black Forest area of Germany on a trip in the 1990s. I enjoyed it but many don't. Yours definitely looks like it has significant age and is more intricately carved than many produced nowadays. Unfortunately, it appears the tips of the antler on the right side are broken off. Yours looks like it has two cuckoo doors?
    Even on a good day, cuckoo clocks are hard to sell in my area of the Midwestern USA.

11. komokwa

blackforestclocks.org....... may be of help....or full of viruses.....I DON'T KNOW fer sure...!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

I think I see double doors, so a bit more value than the single cuckoo. They are usually a little man and the bird. cuckoo.jpg

13. Darkwing Manor

That one is older and higher end, lovely carving. These, as with Victorian furniture, come in a wide variety of age, style, level of craftsmanship and clock-work quality. Hard to price through the myriads. One quick way to date it is to see if the hands and numerals are plastic.

kyratango, judy and komokwa like this.
  14. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

HAHAHA!!! Just sniped by @Darkwing Manor on finding the two small doors, but not sure if they're decorative or functional!!

cuckoo-edit-low_res-scale-3_00x-cropped-gigapixel.jpg

15. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

shows only one thing - also Orson Welles didn't know anything about Europe.:grumpy:

kyratango, Darkwing Manor and judy like this.
  16. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

LOL, I think I got there first! :shame:

17. Darkwing Manor

I've been cuckolded!

18. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

The antlered animal, by the way, is a Red Deer - what we would call an elk in North America. But in Europe an elk is a moose. :confused:

Draft saved Draft deleted