Help with listing vintage fabric

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by Bookahtoo, Jul 21, 2014.

1. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

I found a lot of vintage 1940s fabric, unused, in the attic of the house I just cleaned out.
    I love vintage fabric, used to collect it, but in fact I hate to sew. So anyway, I decided I should sell most of this. The problem is, I have never had much luck at getting a good price for fabric. I'm hoping you will look at my photos and tell me if these are okay. I can never seem to make fabric look very attractive.

IMG_1818.JPG

IMG_1823.JPG

IMG_1824.JPG

IMG_1826.JPG
    Also, how much should I expect to get for this? It is 6 1/4 yards of 36" wide cotton print - no name that I can see. TIA

Attached Files:

2. Tauriel

Tauriel Active Member

Wow Book, I think your photos are great! Not much help on price, I would be looking at completed auctions and go from there.

3. Bookahtoo

Thanks Tauriel.
    What's with sellers calling all the vintage fabric feedsack? It can't all be feedsack!!

4. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

They are just trying to make a buck on the whole depression/dust bowl era.
    Feed Sack fabric is just that, it came from the sacks that held flour and sugar (I don't think any came from actual FEED sacks).
    In other words, they don't have a clue what they are talking about.

5. Bookahtoo

6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Bingo. REAL flour/sugar/feed sack prints can go for some real money. This isn't feed sack, but quilters will snag it. Dunno for how much.

7. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Messi,
    The feed came in sacks but it a smooth burlap type material. We used it for wash clothes (rags). They called the flour and sugar bags feed sacks because they came from the feed and fuel stores. It was about the only things we bought because we did not mill flour or make sugar. I used to get rabbit food (pellets) in the winter. We did this up to the late 50s long after the depression era. The only other thing was getting crushed oyster shells for the chickens. They had to have "gravel" to keep grinding corn in their gizzards. The oyster shells gave them calcium to keep their shells hard.
    greg

Last edited: Jul 22, 2014
  8. Messilane

Greg, you are teaching your Grandma to suck eggs here. :D
    I grew up on a tiny farm in the first part of the 1950s until I was about seven, and we did the same.
    I just meant that the other sellers were using the earlier history to make it sound romantic (mostly because they never had to live it).

9. Bookahtoo

messi - I love that expression - teach your Grandmother to suck eggs. I used it on a young whippersnapper the other day, as in "Don't teach your Grandmother to suck eggs."

10. Messilane

LOL
    It was used around our house all the time, and while I knew what they meant, I never did know where it came from.
    Especially since they also used "egg sucking dog". :D

11. gregsglass

Hi Messi,
    Was not trying to teach you anything. lol You did say that feed did not come in these bags. Just trying to say feed did come in bags. They call them feed sacks since they came from a feed store. I always say "don't preach to the choir". Besides I never considered you being a senior, always thought you were a 40 yr old whippersnapper.
    greg

12. Messilane

LOL I wish I was 40 again! That avatar photo was taken in 1965.

(I didn't say feed didn't come in sacks, I said that feed didn't come in the pretty, printed, sacks.)

13. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

Down here, "chicken mash" came in bags made of a material suitable for sewing children's warm/hot-weather clothing with various "kid friendly" prints.

"Feed sack" cloth was usually fairly up to date in its "prints." They seemed to keep up with "pop culture" (such as "pop culture" was back then).

One summer my younger sister and I had matching (but in different background colors) "Davy Crockett" patterned shirts and shorts which a dear aunt sewed for us.

Spiffy!!! :)

14. gregsglass

Hi Messi,
    An egg sucking dog was a useless animal since it was stealing food out of your mouth. He was not worth having around. Like some family members. Grandma an egg sucker, never heard it. My Gram was a saint after all she raised me and I could piss off Mother Theresa.:rolleyes:
    greg

15. Messilane

I had no problem with the egg sucking dog, but the Grandma one made me wonder. LOL
    I guess it is much older than we may have guessed . . .
    http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-tea1.htm

Yourturn, I am pea-green with envy!!!! I AB SO LUTE LY loved Davey Crockett!!!

16. Bookahtoo

My stepfather told me it was an old Russian expression - his parents both came from Russia as teenagers.
    I always thought it meant that a Grandmother knows all the tricks in the book, and has been around to learn what she needs to know about everything particular to whatever you are trying to tell her.

17. yourturntoloveit

Believe me, Messilane, we didn't have any of the "good" Davy Crockett accessories, just the shorts and shirts. All the other kids in the neighborhood had coonskin caps and "play" rifles.

Davy Crockett

18. Messilane

hey! At that time I was riding an old tricycle we had gotten out at the town dump.
    It was my horse! LOL
    We had squat, and all my stuff came from there, or hand-me-down from better off cousins. :D

19. yourturntoloveit

I did get a bicycle for my 9th birthday. A couple of years later my sister got a bicycle. We would ride up our one-mile road to a small "settlement" where there was a drug store with a soda fountain. One time my bicycle started acting up on the way up the road. Luckily there was a bicycle repair shop so I "walked" my bicycle in there and asked the man if he could repair it. Knowing that everything costs money and thinking I didn't have enough to get it repaired, I asked the man if he would repair it while I rode back home on my sister's bike to get money out of my piggy bank.

I told the man I could leave my sister there as "collateral."

He had repaired my bike by the time I rode back up there with a little more money. My sister was sitting there happy as a clam eating an ice cream cone from the drug store soda fountain which either the man or another customer had bought for her while she sat there as "collateral."

Does that tell you the kinds of words I grew up hearing Daddy say??????

trip98 likes this.
  20. Messilane

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Draft saved Draft deleted