Help With Location On Pastels

Discussion in 'Art' started by kardinalisimo, Aug 27, 2014.

1. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

The artist does not appear to be famous but I wonder if someone can suggest a possible location.
    Thanks
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

It appears to show the silhouette of a ruined small castle or fortified manor house, and also to be fairly modern. Somewhere in Britain, possibly, since there are ancient ruins all over the place. The bird appears to be a seagull.

3. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

It has a look of Whitby Abbey which is in ruins and just up the coast from me on the seafront.
    There are many different images taken from all angles and with bits falling off every year, no two pictures look the same.
    There are also a heck of a lot of Seagulls there.
    The artists name Bloodgood makes it more convincing as Whitby Abbey was the inspiration for Bram Stoker to write Dracula

:eek:

https://encrypted.google.com/search...OfQ4QS7vYDYCg&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ&biw=960&bih=495

w1.jpg

w2.jpg

w3.jpg

Pat P and spirit-of-shiloh like this.
  4. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

Indeed! Look at that last photo Davey posted.

5. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

Thank you soo much. I really doubted that someone can suggest a location. Glad to have you all and learn from you everyday.

6. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

If you look at the handrail on the entry bridge, which seems to be pretty well at water level if that is a glimpse of the sea behind the bridge, it can give the scale of the building as a lot smaller than Whitby, and there are no accompanying towers by the remaining gable ends, one of which appears to have the remnants of a chimney stack attached (square top), and this is a feature of domestic but not ecclesiastical architecture.
    Another scaling feature is the block size of ragged walls,assuming the artist was reasonably true to what he saw.
    There are also a couple of window slits shown, more consistent with defensible domestic architecture than the large window openings of a church.

Lastly the building appears to be on a rising piece of land behind the bridge, making the total build height less than it appears. No one builds on the level if there is a bit of height handy, because it makes the position both stronger and more imposing.

I will grant that Whitby has a lot of seagulls, though. So does almost any town with a landfill dump nearby.

7. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

And I was thinking Greece. Hmm. Pretty soon there will be software that will do this kind of search.

Draft saved Draft deleted