Help with Mark on Eickholt Vase

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by ascot, Aug 26, 2019.

1. ascot

ascot Well-Known Member

Can anyone tell me what the letters beneath the year 2006 mean? Looks like USTAG to me. The only thing I've come up with is United States Art Glass, but that's probably wrong.
    Thank you for your help!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

i need help likes this.
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

People seem to be reading it as VSTAG, but not clear what that is supposed to mean either. My Eickholt pieces from the 1980s do not have this notation.

According to this site, he announced his retirement in 2013. Maybe some later pieces were produced by his workshop with less direct input from him? This gallery might know.

https://www.sapergalleries.com/Eickholt.html

i need help and judy like this.
  3. Bronwen

i need help likes this.
  4. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

This one has VPAG. No explanation
    [​IMG]

i need help, Houseful, judy and 2 others like this.
  5. ascot

ascot Well-Known Member

I'm still running through possibilities: perhaps the V is for vase, the AG for agate. No clue on the middle.

i need help, Bronwen and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  6. KikoBlueEyes

During your musings, please consider that I saw one with VTAG also.

i need help, Bronwen and ascot like this.
  7. janettekay

janettekay Well-Known Member

I have 2 Eickholt paperweights...(had others plus a vase I sold years ago)..All 3 PWs are signed and also have varied "marks" with letters and #s.

8. KikoBlueEyes

He names his pieces; perhaps, this is an abbreviation of the name.

judy, Bronwen and ascot like this.
  9. Bronwen

VPAG, no?

i need help likes this.
  10. Bronwen

I have 2 paperweights (think I must have given away a third paperweight that was similar to one of the others) & a vase, all bought directly from him at crafts shows. Each has only 'Eickholt' & the year. None are the 'agate' glass, which I don't think he was making then.

judy and i need help like this.
  11. Bronwen

The signature on the other PW is more compressed than this one & hard to read if you do not already recognize it.

upload_2019-8-27_15-20-36.png

upload_2019-8-27_15-20-52.png

judy likes this.
  12. KikoBlueEyes

Another one I couldn't find again. This one says VOLEC. Love your paperweights. So jealous
    [​IMG]

judy and Bronwen like this.
  13. Bronwen

Other PW:

upload_2019-8-28_15-54-15.png

upload_2019-8-28_15-54-39.png

Any Jewelry and judy like this.
  14. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Beautiful!

Bronwen likes this.
  15. Bronwen

This one really does have a magical quality in the way it shimmers - fairy dust in glass! :)

KikoBlueEyes and judy like this.
  16. KikoBlueEyes

Exquisite. I am even more jealous!!!!!!!

Bronwen likes this.
  17. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

I recently found an Eickholt paperweight with other stuff on the bottom. Here are the photos. I believe the PW was given to someone at Riverside Methodist Hospital (the R. M. H.), a large local hospital, for doing something above and beyond. It also is signed Eickholt 1989. So the initials on your PW may have been inscribed by someone else representing an association, a business, a person or whatever. It would have been an award or gift. Notice the bird in flight in the center. That's always popular with inspirational / motivational awards.

That's how I figured it out, but even with extensive googling, I couldn't find anything on the Jeanette Harter Award and didn't think it important enough to call someone at Riverside.

DSCF2090.jpg DSCF2141.jpg DSCF2143.jpg

Any Jewelry and Bronwen like this.
  18. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Googling turned up the U.S. Technical Advisory Group.

Bronwen likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted