Help With Mark On Japanese Pottery No Handle Pot

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by kardinalisimo, Aug 27, 2014.

1. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

About 3 3/4" tall. Any idea what is this supposed to be used for and possibly translation of the character?
    Thanks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Looks like a type of Raku. All I see is a very large pink rabbit. Perhps it is an embarressed Harvey?
    greg

Last edited: Aug 28, 2014
    silverthwait and tie.dye.cat like this.
  3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Or a moon reference? The Chinese say the Rabbit in the Moon instead of the Man.

4. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Apparently when the Japanese (and other eastern cultures) look at the moon they don't see a man, they see a rabbit. Maybe the decoration has something to do with the moon rabbit. I think it's an interesting pot.

5. kardinalisimo

I am sorry if I soud Chinese but when I was little I've always seen a rabbit in moon. Never thought about this since then. I will look tonight if it is clear, maybe I will see something different.
    As to the no handle, I did find some examples of such pots but different shapes and spouts.

I do believe the piece to be Japanese but the rabbit looks like the one I've seen on Chinese porcelain, the enamels also resemble fencai decoration.
    I will try to figure what does the character read, probably the maker's name.

6. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

As long as what you're seeing in the moon isn't ordering you to do things, I suppose you're alright.

7. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

At that small size, might it be for serving sake? (Goes right along with the pink rabbit. ;) )

8. kardinalisimo

The only no handle pots I found are for serving tea and called houhin/houbin. But asI mentioned above they have different shape and spouts.

9. Tauriel

Tauriel Active Member

I know I'm late to the party, but I just wanted to say this is not raku. Looks like high fired stoneware to me. JMHO

The glaze looks to be an iron glaze with ash or fake ash glaze around and down the rim.

Draft saved Draft deleted