Help with marks, Japanese origin?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by MrNate, Jul 26, 2020.

1. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

I’m hoping for assistance with this mark, I think the item is possibly Japanese origin? I promise to show photos soon, but I would prefer to see if someone can help confirm if this indicates silver or plate first. It’s on a silver box ABA8D372-6F3B-448B-91EC-18B17D42B7FF.jpeg

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I know this page says Korea, but the Chinese characters used in all 3 countries for silver are pretty much the same and this one is easier for a non-Chinese reader to see. I don't think the mark on your box is related to them in any way.

https://www.925-1000.com/Fkorea_01.html

Last edited: Jul 26, 2020
    aaroncab likes this.
  3. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

I don't want to get my hopes up too much, but I would be kidding myself if I wasn't going to make this purchase. This one was found today, price was $8 which is a steal to me no matter what it's made of. I'm planning to acid test it later tonight; do you think I have a shot at chinese export silver??

IMG_6236.JPG IMG_6237.JPG IMG_6238.JPG IMG_6239.JPG IMG_6240.JPG IMG_6241.JPG

4. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

It’s beautiful, looks really good for silver to me but I didn’t do so well on the last silver guessing game!

komokwa and MrNate like this.
  5. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Acid test complete, it’s real!!!! Seriously I really wasn’t sure, what a thrill this one turned out to be. I will post photos later of it polished.

Houseful, kyratango and komokwa like this.
  6. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

That's lovely, Nate, and even better that it's real silver! As for your "Chinese Export" question - it's not old enough and would be better marked I suspect.

MrNate likes this.
  7. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Really old stuff would be better marked. Then again I have a heavy Chinese sterling bracelet that's just marked "sterling silver" in Chinese and nothing else. I'd be wondering it was Japanese just from the design, but any smith capable of work that good would have signed it so...???? Got me.

patd8643 likes this.
  8. Iouri

Iouri Well-Known Member

Very beautiful !Thank you to put for us.

MrNate likes this.
  9. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

I hope you enjoy the photos as much as me. I'll definitely be putting in some more time researching on this one, but not really in a rush to figure it out as the acid test was very clear (and I scraped a bunch of times in the same spot with identical results, I also did the ice cube test with very good results):

IMG_6242.JPG IMG_6243.JPG IMG_6244.JPG IMG_6245.JPG IMG_6246.JPG IMG_6247.JPG IMG_6248.JPG

bercrystal, Houseful and kyratango like this.
  10. evelyb30

Uhmmm.... wheeeeee? That's about $288 worth of silver at the last posted price. I'm not sure even want to know what you paid, but I'm guessing a lot less. Score! Whoever had it obviously didn't know what it was.

bercrystal and kyratango like this.
  11. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

:) :) it was a local purchase....Price was $8, and to be clear when I picked it up, the first thing the seller stated to me was "it's real silver"....

bercrystal, Houseful and kyratango like this.
  12. evelyb30

!!!!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek::D:D:D:D:D Obviously hadn't checked the price of silver lately!

kyratango and MrNate like this.
  13. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

VERY NICE, Nate!!!!!!!!!!!!:singing::singing::):)

MrNate likes this.
  14. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Gorgeous box, Nate. The style looks Japanese to me.

MrNate, bercrystal and kyratango like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted