Featured Help with marks on a few spoons please

Discussion in 'Silver' started by MrNate, Feb 4, 2022.

1. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Good evening everyone,

Today I picked up a group of flatware listed as silverplate....and sadly all the pieces in the listing were absolutely junk plated stuff, so I'm left to these two pieces.....I'm hoping someone else can give me there take on the marks, I have an idea of what they could be but I would like someone else's unbiased opinion to make sure i'm not "seeing things..."

IMG_3123.jpg IMG_3124.jpg IMG_3125.jpg IMG_3126.jpg

judy, Darkwing Manor and bercrystal like this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

3. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Thank you @Bakersgma, I hadn't looked at that maker, but I will definitely consider it as a possibility. I was definitely focused on the IK, but I was more focused on the mark to the right of the IK...again, maybe my eyes are seeing something that isn't there....but to me it looked like something...Again not trying to be too leading in my remarks but just curious what others think that mark could be?

Darkwing Manor likes this.
  4. Matahari

Matahari Well-Known Member

5. Bakersgma

Hello, Matahari, While your picture of a craft project use of old spoons is interesting, it contributes nothing to MrNate's query about markings on 2 specific spoons in his possession. When you have something to show off you should start your own thread rather than add to someone else's unrelated one.

6. Darkwing Manor

Darkwing Manor Well-Known Member

It's definitely something, but unreadable to my eyes also. I can make out a side profile in the center, around.. garlands?

7. Bakersgma

It would not surprise me for the "wavy" one to be made up of small letters. Unfortunately I found no example with the IK maker, but it could be a retailer mark.

Darkwing Manor likes this.
  8. Bakersgma

Looking at retailer marks on SterlingFlatwareFashions I found 3 with the word "Standard" inside a wavy cartouche, but actually more waves than the one we see with Keeler IK mark.

9. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

10. Bakersgma

Nope. I don't see that at all.

11. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I do. That use of I for J and the style of the cartouche looks dead right for early Georgian silver marks.

12. Bakersgma

But it was also done in the US. Dead right for our coin silver period.

13. popsycat

popsycat Well-Known Member

I was hoping it was John Keith of Banff Scotland. Having had a lot of Scottish silver in the distant past, that was the name that immediately popped into my head. Can't attribute it to him at the moment.

bercrystal likes this.
  14. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

@popsycat thank you for your message, and that is a name I hadn't found yet. Got me searching, and possibly another contender for the faded mark to the right of the initials. I see this post from 2005 with a mark that has the same wavy bottom:

Capture.JPG

https://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19031

bercrystal likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted