Help with Minton marks & cypher date codes. Hand painted?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Mill Cove Treasures, Jun 19, 2018.

1. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

All three berry bowls have the same laurel leaf mark. This site claims the mark was used from 1912 to 1950. However, the same site claims the date code found on one of these bowls dates to 1861. ? :confused:I'm confused. Could this be the date the blank was made? The other two bowls also have a cypher mark but I don't see the one that looks like a capital I and the other code isn't clear enough to distinguish.

https://antique-marks.com/antique-minton-marks.html

All three bowls appear to be hand painted. P1350052 (2)s1rsF.jpg P1350063ps1ars.jpg P1350055ps1bd.jpg P1350058ps1rs.jpg P1350059ps1rs.jpg Did Minton hand paint their patterns? Thank you.

judy and cxgirl like this.
  2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Certainly hand painted. That backstamp can't be earlier than 1891. It isn't the 1912 onwards one, that says Made in England. I think you're probably confusing impressed date ciphers with that painted letter I? Anyhow, these are between 1891 and 1912.

judy likes this.
  3. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

Thank you Owned. :) It was the first photo with a mark that looks like a Y that had me confused.

judy likes this.
  4. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Ah, gotcha. I think it's just a piecework mark. Minton date codes are impressed. Pretty plates.

Mill Cove Treasures likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted