Help with name of artist of miniature portrait

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Aug 3, 2020.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

This is 1 of 4 paintings I bought today at a local thrift store. It is a painting, not a print.
    Can anyone make out or recognize the artist's name?
    Thank you!

ART PAINTING MINIATURE PORTRAIT PAINTING 1AA.JPG ART PAINTING MINIATURE PORTRAIT PAINTING 1AAA_AA.JPG ART PAINTING MINIATURE PORTRAIT PAINTING 2AA.JPG ART PAINTING MINIATURE PORTRAIT PAINTING 2AAA.JPG ART PAINTING MINIATURE PORTRAIT PAINTING 4AA.JPG

stracci and aaroncab like this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

These are little decorative paintings. (The backing is one giveaway.) The name of the artist is not of import. Could be a copy of a Tudor-era portrait although looks a bit of a fantasy.

Debora

i need help, bluumz and blooey like this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

nice painting.......

i need help likes this.
  4. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I always thought frames were bone. Meant to mimic ivory.

Debora

aaroncab likes this.
  6. journeymagazine

I opened back - was thinking of putting it in a different frame - and when I saw the medium it was painted on I thought 'celluloid' but you can see the grain (bone grain is straight & ivory grain is like tic tac toe, right?) in 2nd photo below, so it is painted on bone right?.
    I don't know if I chipped bottom left corner or it was like that; does it hurt it's value? (it isn't noticeable when back in frame - last 2 photos)
    As always I am grateful for your help & information

ART PAINTING MINIATURE PORTRAIT PAINTING 8AA.JPG ART PAINTING MINIATURE PORTRAIT PAINTING 8BAA.JPG ART PAINTING MINIATURE PORTRAIT PAINTING 8CAA.JPG ART PAINTING MINIATURE PORTRAIT PAINTING 9AAA.JPG
    ART PAINTING MINIATURE PORTRAIT PAINTING 9cAA.JPG ART PAINTING MINIATURE PORTRAIT PAINTING 9cAaA.JPG

7. journeymagazine

Sheesh - I was looking at komakwa's link when I finally(!) saw it was bone frame not that it was painted on bone! Man I feel like an idiot sometimes!
    So if I may ask - is it celluloid or plastic or bone or something else that it's painted on?

8. journeymagazine

Can anyone tell me what the portrait was painted on?

9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I'd say a thin layer of bone.....but could it be china???
    I can't tell from here !!!

( oh...& not my link....or my name ! ) :playful::playful::playful::wacky:

10. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

ive had a couple of these types before, i dont think they are 100% hand painted

only the signature and highlighted brush strokes are painted

underneath they were some sort of print on celluloid

it does look that sort of thing as well

11. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

These aren't terribly old. I'd be surprised if painted on celluloid. I'd think it was just regular ol' 20th century plastic. The portrait really doesn't have any value, chipped or not. Have fun with it.

Debora

Draft saved Draft deleted