Help with Neiman Marcus Coat - 1920-30s?

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by Nic2021, Jan 10, 2022.

1. Nic2021

Nic2021 Active Member

Hi - I’ve inherited a ladies Neiman Marcus fur coat which my mother says came from her grandmother- so likely 1920-30s. It has “Eva Kitchen” embroidered on the internal lining in large letters (part of the design). Does anyone know who this is? I tried google, but couldn’t find anything.

Figtree3 likes this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

can we see?

3. Nic2021

Nic2021 Active Member

Here’s the photos
    upload_2022-1-10_9-43-31.jpeg
    upload_2022-1-10_9-43-50.jpeg
    upload_2022-1-10_9-44-21.jpeg

Figtree3 and Any Jewelry like this.
  4. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

Usually the name embroidered inside is custom for the client. The fur was retailed by Neiman.

Born2it, komokwa, Bronwen and 3 others like this.
  5. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Figtree3, komokwa and Any Jewelry like this.
  6. Nic2021

Nic2021 Active Member

Thanks - sounds like my mum’s memory of her grandmother wearing it may not be so accurate!

komokwa likes this.
  7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

That does appear to be the 1950ish logo and the swing coat style would work for that date. As above, typically the embroidered name would be that of the client.

Debora

f7afef94f01a88f39c397e289e1b0f84--s-women-vintage-fur.jpg

Figtree3, komokwa and Nic2021 like this.
  8. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Though it's difficult to see the shape of the coat from the photos provided, I agree with 1950s or later for it. HERE are some examples of NM labels used over the years.
    Also, from the photos provided, it actually looks like faux fur to me...?

Figtree3 likes this.
  9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Looks like muskrat to me but could be wrong.

Debora

Figtree3 likes this.
  10. Nic2021

Nic2021 Active Member

There’s definitely some sort of animal hide beneath the fur.

bluumz likes this.
  11. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Neiman-Marcus would not be selling faux fur in the 1950s.

Debora

Born2it and bluumz like this.
  12. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

more like no one took care of this critter....
    rode hard...put away wet...

bluumz likes this.
  13. lizjewel

lizjewel Well-Known Member

Vintage clothing and even furs were among my special interests years ago. In Philadelphia I had a fur connection that was invaluable for research, a couple who had been in the fur business, including making/sewing furs since the 1930s.
    To determine the type of pelt in this coat the question is:
    Hard hairs or soft? If hard hairs it could be muskrat, which was a the poor lady's mink, or fisk, another type harder hair pelt.

The picture does not show the hairs as hard. If very soft it may be baby seal. Imitations of baby seal were made with sheared close rabbit that could fool the eye to look like seal. If the coat was made in the 1950s seal was still a politically acceptable fur. It only got unacceptable in the 1970s, 1980s and on, with other animal skins like leopard, panther, tiger, etc.

Don't laugh but it could even be sheared squirrel. I once owned (and wore!) a sheared squirrel coat in this length, called "stroller" that was made in the late 1940s, a gift from the fur couple mentioned above.

Squirrel was a young lady's fur, as opposed to mink that was a mature lady's style.

As for the provenance, Neiman Marcus, this store sold all kinds of furs, not just expensive furs like mink, sable, but even rabbit and squirrel back in the olden not-politically-incorrect days.

Another couple of soft furs come to mind but I don't recall their names right now. Marten might be one but it was getting rarer even in the 1950s. Chinchilla is one but it was rarely dyed solid as its varigations were the definite signs of identification as a very expensive fur, why dye them then, right...

Figtree3 and bluumz like this.
  14. Nic2021

Nic2021 Active Member

Thanks, this is very helpful. It is definitely soft hair. I guess there’s no way to tell what animal just by looking?

15. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Yes, experts can tell what fur it is by looking, even at pictures with clear close-ups. But I'm definitely not one of those experts, LOL.
    Here is an extensive fur resource:
    Vintage Fashion Guild : Fur Resource

Figtree3 likes this.
  16. lizjewel

lizjewel Well-Known Member

The more I look at the picture of your coat, the more it looks like mole to me... prove me wrong, please?

Draft saved Draft deleted