Help with old Pewter makers marks.

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by J Dagger, Jun 9, 2019.

1. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

So a month or two ago I went to a local thrift store. They had a huge Rubbermaid bin full of old pewter. I recognized some as being very good and other stuff as being old but not super valuable. There were a bunch of chocolate/ice cream molds and some good Kayserzinn pieces. However they wanted either $250 or $300 for the lot I think. That was down from $400 I believe. I only searched about half the box and decided that was an insane amount to pay for pewter and that I didn’t have room anyway. I asked if they would break up the box if it didn’t sell and an employee said they would probably keep reducing it until a couple weeks went by and then they would probably break it up if not sold. I kept it on my mind but didn’t have time to check back for 2-3 weeks. Showed up one day and to my surprise it was all sitting on the shelf. I think just about every single piece. I mentioned it to the same employee and she didn’t even realize it had been put out so it must have just happened that day. I knew that the store knew there was some good stuff based on the lot price but was hoping they didn’t really research piece by piece and price accordingly. Turns out they did. Good stuff was priced $10-$30 per piece. Normally at that store pewter is like $2-$5 each. Also turns out there more good stuff than I thought. All the flat plates were stacked at bottom and I didn’t look first trip but there was some goodies. Anyways I ended up spending probably $200 at least and only getting like 1/5 or less of the box so I probably should have just bought the whole thing originally. Anyways to wrap this up I may need help with some of the marks. However there were two mystery plates I left there that looked like maybe the oldest ones. I couldn’t find out what they were before I made my purchase. The marks were very worn as were the plates as a whole. I’ve been thinking about them for weeks after bringing home the other stuff. I went back today again and they are still there. I took pics this time. Hoping someone here may be able to help with these. One might be too worn down to tell but the other is decent if someone knows their stuff.

Mark 1:[​IMG] looks like maybe a profile of a woman? Towards bottom of the long white sticker streak there is a second mark.
    Plate 1:[​IMG]

Mark 2:[​IMG]
    Plate 2: [​IMG]

Additional pics if you dare to click.
    https://imgur.com/a/ssJy143
    Btw is there a way to upload multiple photos at a time with tinypic?

Thanks

Christmasjoy likes this.
  2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Other than the scrolly mark, this is the only mark I saw that was worth even trying to bring up and enhance......and I believe I know my "stuff" fairly well!!! (There's ALWAYS MORE to learn!!) I did see another head, but the pewter seems in such rough condition that I saw no way to enhance it and get a 'legible' image.......in fact in enlarging the one image I did, you can see how "eaten" for lack of a better word, the pewter looks. Maybe it's just well aged or well used or both, but those are VERY difficult marks to try and bring out!!

ZZZZ888 PEWTER MARK.jpg

i need help, Christmasjoy and Fid like this.
  3. J Dagger

Thanks for looking at least! That plate is very heavily used and I believe quite old. It’s definitely “eaten” up. I can get a photo that will help anymore than that one. I figured it was a real long shot but worth a shot. It would need to be a mark someone was already quitter familiar with and recognized it despite its wear I think.

i need help and Aquitaine like this.
  4. Miscstuff

Miscstuff Sometimesgetsitright

Mark 2 looks French with the fleur de lis but I couldn't find a mark in my old European porcelain book so they probably stuck to metal table ware. Alas I haven't got a pewter book but some of the others will. You might want to check plate one for silver as the French used lots of heads for hallmarking.
    Good luck.
    Cheers
    Stephen

i need help, J Dagger and Aquitaine like this.
  5. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

i need help and J Dagger like this.
  6. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

I have pewter books, but just American pewter, so I'm afraid I can't be any help other than to say that neither mark (the first barely looks like a mark) looks American to me.

7. J Dagger

Thanks! I also assumed the second was European. The first just impossible to say but I was also leaning towards European based off what little I can see.

i need help likes this.
  8. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I've got some pewter marks books and I'll give it a go but they're really hard to make out.

9. J Dagger

Thanks so much! I don’t think anyone will be able to get that first one. If you already knew the mark from memory it may look familiar enough to recognize but I don’t think there’s enough there to be able to look it up. The second one has enough to go on I feel like. I’ve been looking but haven’t found it.

i need help likes this.
  10. J Dagger

Thanks I was thinking European as well. Do you mean check it for silver content? Or check silver marks for a match? Certainly doesn’t look like any silver I’ve ever seen.

i need help likes this.
  11. J Dagger

i need help and Aquitaine like this.
  12. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I didn't even try your first mark as I can't make it out well enough to guess what I'm looking at.

I looked for your second "mark" in several marks books with thousands of marks. One has just French, one British and one that is world marks.

I didn't find yours and most marks have names or initials. The few of similar style all came from the Cotterell book of British marks. The "Madagascar" one is from the obscure section.
    IMG_20190610_150053.jpg IMG_20190610_150000.jpg IMG_20190610_145904.jpg

Miscstuff, i need help and Bakersgma like this.